MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been talking to a tuner about remapping my R56 Cooper S, and have been asking various questions about the service they offer, and what affect on the car their remap has. The headline figures that they quote from their remap is 210bhp and 228 lb/ft.

Anyway, I wanted to find out what affect their remap had on the overboost facility and also what psi they raise boost too, to which they replied:
"Ok, this is difficult for me to explain. The boost on the new Mini engine is
not a set value is bar or psi. It is a calculate of relative filling
compared to air throughput compared to embedded maximum turbo spin rate. The
relative filling will be increased by upto 20% . Overboost is also
calculated from the relative filling. We do not increase the over boost but
extend it to allow it to run longer starting at lower rpm and upto higher
rpm as normal. We also shorten the pause time between overboost that is
available. "
What do you guys think to that response?

Cheers
Gav

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No response? Maybe I should have put "what name to call my mini" in the message title, that would have got more viewings.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
it still has to have a definite max boost. for a starters there is a maxumum the turbo will produce flat out anyway. also the wastegate/actuator will also define this level. this is the difficulty with the new tuned to the limit small engine turbo's on new cars. there worlds apart from the Old fashioned urbo engines such as cossies or RS Turbo's

The guys i know have been tuning the new Punto Abarth, a similar engine to the new Cooper S pug unit, its a 1.4 turbo and has the same characteristics with overboost and a small turbo with low lag and low level torque. Now there idea was increase the size of the turbo and change the map. Now it all worked well as the torque flew lovely, however the BHP did'nt due to the way the ECU works. And the ECU is not like say an ECU on an R53 Cooper S or say 1.8T golf. Where as they can be tuned fully, normal tuners when looking at the ECU of these new cars are actually only able to alter abut 10-20% of the programing, the rest is so deep and protected it just annot be changed. With regards to this Punto Abarth the guys spoke to a top bod at Webber who explained it all and said the only way to get big power out of these engines is too dump the ECU and run standalone management. Now thats ok on a race car where you can lose your aircon, lose your fuel economy and lose your drivability. but on a road car no way. So unfortunately on the newer small capacity turbo cars, you will always be limited on remaps and tuning as to what you can do easily.

Another example of this is the new new new 2.0 TFSI engine to be put in the new Audi. This is a new version of the Mk5 golf Gti engine 2.0T which was 200bhp and 200lb/ft roughly. However by chnging the engine internals they have so much more minute control over the air and fuel injection this new style engine runs at 210bhp and 245;b ft torque, drives like a diesel and delivers 45mpg. You see its all about control of the all the variables, more sensors, more monitoring, quicker changes to spark and fueling, which will eventually kill the traditional tuner as we know it today.

Oh and dare i mention pneumatic Valve engines like we see on the current MotoGP engines, i think FIAT ( who are always way ahead on engine design but shame about making money out of it) are already trialing. Again all aout more control of the variables and doing away with the cumbersome cam shaft. Efficiency is the key now and for te future of engine design on mainstream cars. Christ even the new direct injection engine on the Porsche 997 facelift delivers 34mpg combined, that a bloody porsche,

·
Boosted
480 Posts
Well I suppose there is some truth in what is being said. You get as much HP increase with some choice mods IMO. Making the whole system more efficient seems to yield as much power as that remap, e.g silicon hoses, bigger IC, Free flowing cat, cat back exhaust, higher octane fuel and CAI have seen power peek at around 200-210bhp. Saying that, most of the Cooper S engines are putting out above the headline 175bhp anyway which contributes too. I think it shows that the ECU does well with what it is given... so give it the best you can! :) But as Ant FR mentions torque will get the biggest increase with remapping.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
my r56 cooper s has been remapped and has been dynoed before and after and went from 178 to 236bhp. I like.

236bhp with just a remap, sounds a lot to me, in fact sounds maybe a bit too much for just a remap when everyone else is getting 210. independent rolling road or tuners rolling road

·
Now Aero Kitted!
330 Posts
The p-torque conversion is meant to be really good,I'm considering but just so worried about losing my warranty

·
Boosted
480 Posts
my r56 cooper s has been remapped and has been dynoed before and after and went from 178 to 236bhp. I like.
Performance Torque (site sponsor) can get 235bhp but thats with both an upgraded Forge motor sport intercooler and full Milltek turbo back exhaust with hi-flow cat. If your getting these numbers on the stock setup I would be very skeptical. Is it a ECU re-flash or a piggy back that you have had done? Is that figure of 236bhp from a dyno and if so do you have a copy of the graph you can post?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who did you get yours remapped by then? And what was your torque figure?

I'm considering two options at the moment, p-torque and e-maps. Both offer similar figures and similar prices, although e-maps will drive to my home or work and remap it there and then which is a nice option.

Still undecided though as I've heard good reports about. both companies.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I do have both before and after rolling road print outs. And the bhp is just from a re-map. I would love to post you the pictures of the rolling road print out. But... i have been seeing that anything to do with any other tuner thats not a sponsor is "not allowed" and could cause me to loose my account. I dont think im even allowed to mention the tunners name. I guess if you guys pm me with your email addresses then i could send you the photos. But i am being honest these are real figures and it has made a huge difference to the car. Anyone in the southampton area i would be happy to give them a spin. For example my 0-60 time was 6.9secs and is now 6.89 secs. Also my 30-70 times were 6.8 decs before and 5.1 secs now. As i said im not lying and quite happy to share my proof just not on the forum coz i dont want to loose my account.

P.s. I also now get 42.2mpg all the time and it never drops below 42mpg even with very very spirited driving.

Also i have had a few "races" with a few of my mates and there cars. 08" Golf GTI, 04" VX220 and 05" astra vxr. All very quick cars and we all did 5 0-60 runs side by side (did 5 to make sure it was far) and i won 5/5. Also we did 0-120mph tests (on private land) and again we did 5 and i won 5.

Please dont get me wrong im not a racer but these are good solid comparrisons which are varied for purely of the mark racing but also normal mid range "fast driving".

Thanks
Jammal.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I would rather not Paul simply because this tuner has been talk about before and people have been loosing there account even by just mentioning there name. So as i said above please pm with you email addy and i will be happy to send you the above.

Jammal.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Actually to make it easier as long as im able to upload the files i will just blank/take out the tuners name on the dyno graphs, and any associated items that could point to the tuner.

Again though pm me you addys for the other information i.e. price and name of tuner. As i dont wanna promote them on the forum.

Jammal

·
Banned
28 Posts
Ok so as not to look "shady like" the name of the tuner is Paramount performance. They are not a site sponsor so shall not be mentioned again. and i understand if this post is removed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm pretty sure there's another topic mentioning this tuners name on here, so don't see that being a problem. I also mentioned E-maps who I believe aren't a sponsor.

I looked at Paramount (because I saw it on the other thread) and wondered if anyone had used them on here. That's a lot of power/torque increase I must say.

I think I'll go down the remapping route though, just feels better to me, although I have no experience of either yet :)

·
Banned
28 Posts
My torque is at 285nm and 313nm on overboost. Hope this equals about 231ft/lbs. And the stock r56 has 177ft/lbs. So an increase of 54ft/lb or 74nm.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Having been a customer of both E-maps on my previous car and P-torque on my current R56 I can happily say that both companies are excellent and know what they are doing.
P-torque I felt happier with because they had done more remaps on the R56, whereas at the time I was getting mine done, E-maps hadnt done any so I was a little skeptical about being the 'guinea pig'

I think you would be very happy with whichever choice you went with though, I know I am still delighted with my P-torque remap months after getting it done :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts