MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tomslick
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded in my '04 for an '05 and installed the aux input, a 12 volt source for accessories, and Ian's auto-up circuit. All of this stuff came out of my '04 and there were no problems and it all works fine now. Now my remote key does not work. I'm not sure the key problem coincided exactly with my work though. It starts the car ok and all the locks work fine from the switch panel but neither key remote works. I know the keys have to be recharged in the ignition but the car is only 3 days old, they shouldn't have discharged this quickly, and they will both start the car. 200 miles to my dealer so I'm not inclined to make a special trip there just for this at the moment. I plan to look over the fuse box when I get home from work this morning to see if I can find something there as I did blow one lighter fuse while installing this stuff. Any ideas?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
I wonder if your key just lost sync with the car. They are programmable but I dont know how on the MINI... I know on BMWs... maybe someone knows how to program the key fob of a MINI and can chime in.

Since yours is a 05 and have the 3 buttons maybe you can try it and see if it works... it wont or shouldnt do any harm... It will still start the car because this lock coding has nothing to do with the immobilizer chip inside the key.

BMW Key Programming Instructions

My key is the re-chargeable, non-replaceable battery type and has 3 buttons: 1) unlock 2) lock 3) open trunk
The lock or center button has the BMW roundel.

After much experimentation, I found a procedure that worked and would like to share it:

1) Get in and close all doors.

2) Turn on the ingition and turn off quickly.

3) Remove the 1st key (do not keep it in the ignition as someone suggested).

4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this as well)

5) Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.

6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

Another Version:

Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

- Get in and “close all doors”

- Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds

- First key - hold down button #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button #2. Confirmed by door lock operation.

- Repeat for second key within 30 seconds of first.

- After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.

Both keys should now have new "randomly selected" security "code words" - asigned by the car's system.
Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence each time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car that they loose the capability to be recognised and you then have to do this again.

That occurs when you take longer than 1 minute changing the battery, or if you hit buttons more often the 1000 times when it is out of range of the car.

·
Tomslick
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have tried initializing the keys according to the '04 manual to no avail and have not found a blown fuse. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
303 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
I wonder if your key just lost sync with the car. They are programmable but I dont know how on the MINI... I know on BMWs... maybe someone knows how to program the key fob of a MINI and can chime in.

Since yours is a 05 and have the 3 buttons maybe you can try it and see if it works... it wont or shouldnt do any harm... It will still start the car because this lock coding has nothing to do with the immobilizer chip inside the key.

BMW Key Programming Instructions

My key is the re-chargeable, non-replaceable battery type and has 3 buttons: 1) unlock 2) lock 3) open trunk
The lock or center button has the BMW roundel.

After much experimentation, I found a procedure that worked and would like to share it:

1) Get in and close all doors.

2) Turn on the ingition and turn off quickly.

3) Remove the 1st key (do not keep it in the ignition as someone suggested).

4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this as well)

5) Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.

6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

Another Version:

Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

- Get in and “close all doors”

- Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds

- First key - hold down button #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button #2. Confirmed by door lock operation.

- Repeat for second key within 30 seconds of first.

- After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.

Both keys should now have new "randomly selected" security "code words" - asigned by the car's system.
Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence each time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car that they loose the capability to be recognised and you then have to do this again.

That occurs when you take longer than 1 minute changing the battery, or if you hit buttons more often the 1000 times when it is out of range of the car.

This is a thread I posted recently about the problems with keys:

"Hi guys

my keyless remote key stops working. I figured this out quit a while ago but havent had a chance to post a question about it.
I opened up the key and tested with new batteries. Sometimes the little LED light inside the key was on (which indicates that the key transmits signal) but most of the time it stays off when pressed.

Before anyone making any jusgement, I never put my key close to any magnets such as mobile phones and speakers and any other electrical stuff. I always put the key on its own in my pocket.

Any1 had the same problem? any fixes?

PS: I bought my car 2 years ago and didnt have the problem until last year..and yes my car is ut of warranty"

My key is the old one (2-button key, lock and unlock function only) and it uses the non-rechargable battery (the big round flat battery)

I tried the 2nd method, but after the release of button #2, there was no confirmation action (no locking doors). The strange thing is, now my central locking mechanism is playing up. It unlocks as normal but doesnt lock the other 2 doors (passenger side and the trunk lid). When I start the car, it comes back to normal.

What did I do wrong?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks a ton

I was searching for a fix for an out of sync key for a friends 05 MINI, sure enough the second method worked and now both keys work! It is a 3 button key like the BMW keys. Thanks for the fix!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts