MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover thats on the front pillar between the door and the front windscreen? it appears to be clips as i can hear them creaking, but no matter which way i pull it doesnt budge.... do i need to pull in a particular direction? or just use more force?

theres nothing in the FAQ.

Attachments

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
MiniGuy or here2help posted how to a while back. I don't have the post but I remember them saying to pull the rubber window seal away first. Then it is held in place with 3 clips which you might be able to use a screwdriver to help unclip them.

It's designed to be a one-time-use part, but if you don't break the clips you should be able to replace it.

You might want to have your dealer look at it. I had both of my covers replaced under warrenty for rattle and creaking.

Luke

·
Registered
544 Posts
Did you get an answer to this question?

I would like to know how the A pillar trims are removed as I am having the front screen replaced on Saturday and want to check that the fitter removes the trims correctly ..

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I took mine out the other night, it was just a case of pull it from the top, after removing the door seal away from it, bit of a pain to get back in though, and don't think I broke any clips

·
Registered
808 Posts
a post finishers

My advice would be, if the clips are creaking, that the post may not actually be fitted tightly enough, so I would advise that you try to push it on better rather than pull it off. simply whack it with the edge of your fist, fairly hard, up and down the rounded corner, avoiding just the very top part so it doesn't crease the headliner. They are sturdier than they appear so don't worry that you might break it. The 2 clips holding it in place are about 30 percent and 70 percent of the way up the post from the bottom so these are the areas you are aiming for. Actually, if you want to pull the door rubber away first and peek behind the posts, you'll see the clips and know where to aim.
If that doesn't stop the noise you could always use a can of wd40 type lubricant with the long tube attachment and squirt the areas where the clips go in. You wouldn't need to remove the post to do this either and due to the nature of the clip design, they wont fall out because you've greased them a bit..
Failing that removal is as was mentioned above.

Pull the door seal away, grab the upper part of the outside edge with one hand, and the middle with the other and tug fast and sharp.

If the car has a post airbags, the retaining straps will prevent the a post coming away too far and to get the clips out is a nightmare. Having said that, an alarming amount of the clips don't actually work correctly and just pull out also as you yank the a post. I've been expecting stories of people getting hit in the head by the driver a post finisher on airbag deployment and the fact that the top of the finisher is a sharp point it used to concern me.
I mentioned the unreliability of the clips and potential dangers caused by their failure at the factory.

Nothing changed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Rigsey said:
Did you get an answer to this question?

I would like to know how the A pillar trims are removed as I am having the front screen replaced on Saturday and want to check that the fitter removes the trims correctly ..
he'll yank on them like a mad man so look away!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts