MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I was wondering this very same thing, only, i want to know if the Chili Spoiler can be removed, and if there are any holes in the roof?

I think I prefer the car without the spoiler, but the Chili pack is a bargain!

(Or can you have chili without the spoiler?).

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
(Or can you have chili without the spoiler?).
Unfortunately not.:(

I tried to get my Cooper without it, but for some reason they said I had to have it. I made it clear that I wasn't looking for any sort of discount on the Chili Pack, but they still refused.

I don't see what the big deal is to be honest, what skin is it off their nose.

What can you do?

:rolleyes:

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Isn't it a right mission to get off? Its factory fit I think, so the dealer doesn't put them on or take them off himself. If you would really want it without, the only way would be to pay the dealer to take it off, which as I seem to remember from other threads is a right arse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a similar issue. dealer has fitted clear lamps but can't replace the spoiler brake light. they've written to the bmw services manager dude to get instructions for removing the spoiler. more on this as and when.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Removal of rear spoiler.

The spoiler is attached to the top of the tailgate using double sided pressure sensitive adhesive tape. It is then bolted with 3 10mm bolts from the underside of the tailgate.
The plastic plugs you can see when you open the tailgate are the covers for the bolts.
Removal is simply a matter of removing the plugs and removing the 3 10mm bolts.
Best way to remove the plugs is to force a small flat blade screwdriver through the side of the middle portion of the plug and lever it off. The holes will be unnoticable and the plugs stay in good shape. Trying to prise them off from the outside edge will scratch the paint and leave the plugs looking like they've been chewed by a Rotweiler.
Next the spoiler has to be forced off of the tailgate by pushing until the tape gives in and lets go.
That's it, but easier said than done. Not enough force and the spoiler refuses to budge. Too much force and you risk bending the top edge of the tailgate. It's a very real risk too. don't under estimate the situation.
Take lots of time and build the force up trying sharp pushes and always checking for the slightest sign of movement to the tailgates top edge.
You will not believe how strong double sided tape can be!!
The back wheels will be virtually in the air by the time that bugger gives in!!
The bolt threads on the spoiler will cause slight damage to the holes in the tailgate. This is unavoidable but obviously you're gonna fill the holes or cover them with another (or the original) spoiler anyway.
Don't try cheating by forcing instruments between spoiler and tailgate. The paintwork will never forgive you.
If you use adhesive of any type when replacing a spoiler be sure it is centered correctly on the tailgate before allowing the two to contact.
For cooper S it's the same principle but only two bolts, and the risk of tailgate top edge bending is significantly increased due to the shape of the spoiler. I find on these that if you can free up one side you can lever the spoiler and twist the other side off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
zoooooom

Are you going to the cooper s launch on wed at john clarks aberdeen ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts