MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you remove bonnet stripes? I'm after a pure black mini & I'm struggling to get the spec I want, I've just seen a black 04 mini for sale, but it has White stripes on the bonnet. Can they be removed without making marks or is it a respray job, if so any idea of prices for respraying a bonnet in black metallic

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
they can be removed with a little heat from a heat gun or hairdryer.

There may be some difference in color but some decent detailing will help this.

Respray would be a very last option if the paintwork is totally knackered !!!

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
If you're careful a hairdryer should do the job. At the worst a t-cut and polish of the bonnet will be needed to even up the paint. I wouldn't advise using a heat gun though, if you don't know what you're doing you can wreak havoc on the paintwork.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
yep - I should have stated only use a heat gun if you are a professional !!!!

just gentle heat will get them off no problem - just take your time.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
We used a hairdryer to take off the decal from my Dooper.....on Ian's drive with both of us stood on a towel in the door shut, one with a hairdryer in hand and the other peeling it off.....then the postman came :p :D Yes, we got a few strange looks that day :p

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep definitely recommend the hairdryer over a heat gun - I used a heat gun to remove the stripes off my Mk1 Golf GTi before it went in for a respray - and the paint bubbled like fury! Good job it was going in for paint.

Have been contemplating swapping my Cooper stripes for Vipers but my car is Chili Red and I'm worried that I'll be left with a shadow - from where the originals were due to any fade in the Chili Red. Anyone had this problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts