MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not very often I can highly recommend a product but today is one of those days. I bought a can of Gunk Tar and Bug Remover Gunk because it won the Auto Express Bug Cleaner test with 5 out of 5.

I've just applied it to my windscreen which was full of flies etc etc, left it on for 2 minutes and then used a damp cloth to remove the stuff and bingo it's gone - it was so effortless, I was simply stunned at how good this product was. It's really good when you find a product that actually says what it does on the tin :smile:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, is this stuff any good for using on your paint ? or will it strip all your wax off ? I have a black car - getting the bugs off the front is a nightmare !!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, is this stuff any good for using on your paint ? or will it strip all your wax off ? I have a black car - getting the bugs off the front is a nightmare !!
I haven't tried it on the paintwork as yet but here's what it says:

Gunk Tar n Bug Remover removes tar, oil, insect residue, tree sap and bird droppings from paintwork and windscreens.

Specially formulated to remove tar, oil, insect residue, tree sap and bird droppings from hard surfaces. It is suitable for use on paintwork, plastic trims, chrome, windscreens, wing mirrors and alloy wheels. It features a foaming spray formula making it ideal for vertical surfaces.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Am I right in thinking this product is petrolium based?

I know the Auto Glym Tar Remover says to polish the area once the tar is removed, therefore it must strip all wax etc from the area.

I assume the theory behind this product is the same, but it should say if its petrolium based on the can, with a big warning about incase of contact with eyes etc etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If it does what it says on the can then it will definitely strip wax, as do most products that remove glue/tar/bugs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am I right in thinking this product is petrolium based?

I know the Auto Glym Tar Remover says to polish the area once the tar is removed, therefore it must strip all wax etc from the area.

I assume the theory behind this product is the same, but it should say if its petrolium based on the can, with a big warning about incase of contact with eyes etc etc.
Here's exactly what it says:

Do not use on hot, painted surfaces while exposed to direct sunlight. Pre-test painted, varnished, lacquered or plastic surfaces for colour fastness before use. If inadvertanently sprayed on surfaces which show signs of attack, do not rub, rinse thoroughly with a stream of water.

Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking. Do not breathe spray or vapour. Use only in a well ventilated area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm wanting to get the splats off easily without having to wax my car every week. I don't mind the elbow grease - it's just you can't see the splats on a wet black car, ergo you can't get off what you can't see....

Any recommendations by anyone with knowlege of the holy grail ;) ??

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm wanting to get the splats off easily without having to wax my car every week. I don't mind the elbow grease - it's just you can't see the splats on a wet black car, ergo you can't get off what you can't see....

Any recommendations by anyone with knowlege of the holy grail ;) ??
What Wax are you using?

Usually with wax it is easier to remove bugs etc, as there is a layre of wax between them and the paintwork.

I use Dodo Juice on mine, and bugs can just be pressure washed off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi, I'm using autoglm aqua wax, they come off OK with it, you just have to give it an extra rub - trouble is i can' t see them to rub them :rolleyes: , they do come off when i use the karcher - but its a real pain getting it out everyweek. I was after a tip that makes it all "low maintenance"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts