MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just wanted to ask regarding removing racing stripes and installing a new one.
I wanted to replace a part of the racing stripes on the bonnet because there was an approx. 1 inch scratch. on one of the 4 stripes. I went to the dealer and asked what they could do and the service personnel told me that its going to be $700(with labor) to have them removed, and replaced with a new set. I then wanted to talk to the technician to ask what exactly will be done which is worth that much....just wanted to clarify if what the tech said was true.
1) To remove the old decal they need to prep the old one with chemical and then a heat gun to remove it without damaging the paint.....if I try it, like what is shown on DIY videos, I can possibly pull off some of the top coat and damage the paint
2) Once removed, The paint should be thoroughly cleaned and then prepped for applying a new decal using chemicals and buffing.

Since I only needed 1 of the stripes replaced, I asked if they could just do the one that is damaged...
3) If you will not replace the whole set from front to back, they wont look the same even if they have the same brand.

Any advice? Thanks

I saw on shopminiusa.com one side bonnet strip is $103 and one side boot stripe is $72, so a complete set is $360.....on the website is shows an extended play time(warranty) for original accessories....i guess bonnet stripes is not covered. I just got my mini late last year(less than 6 months)

· Registered
13,590 Posts
trouble is stripes fade so replace one it wont match,
if you have factory stril kit same as what came off, i would use masking tade and tape around old ones before removing them then tou have a template to where strip sits on the car, then with heat gun real old ones off,, i would use water sprayer wit drop of fairy liquid in it i mean a drop thats all, shake so gets bubbles then spray the panel and the stripe this will allow you to move it around in to the correct place in line with masking tape lines, and use a vinyle card to force the water and air from under the stripe,, IMPORTANT ALWAYS START THIS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STRIP NEVER ONE END, you might need to use heat gun gentle to help get air out, job done.

· Registered
13,590 Posts
Thank you! Fairy liquid is dish soap? I dont need to buy any special chemical?

So if i peel off the old vinyl decal can I possibly damage the topcoat? Thanks again
no the paint should be fine wont hurt it would use a head gun or air dryer heat softens the plastic and the glue, thats just garage using the this might happen if dont use them etc i guess, no special chems needed panel wipe would be a good idea litre can off ebay £4 ish, the fairy one drop in a spray with water ia enough,

· Registered
2003 R53 Liquid Yellow and 2012 R58 Coupe Cosmos black
144 Posts
Rather than a heat gun try using a wallpaper steamer. It will not hurt the paint in any way but will soften the vinyl and adhesive.
I have been removing a checker pattern from the roof of my R53 which has been on since the car was new, It's cracked and brittle but the steamer softens it and loosens the adhesive. The area where it is removed looks no different to the rest of the paint work.

Gerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.