MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
t o t a l m i n i . c o m
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

i was wondering if anyone can help me, I am currently trying to remove my mini cooper spoiler from the car and looking to replace the spoiler with a MCS one, i was looking at an aerokit spoiler that would cover thye marks and the middle holes but i found this spoiler and was a lot cheaper than the other one,

but has anyone removed a spoiler from their cooper? did they have great difficulty like myself? does anyone have any tips that can help me get it off? youre advice would be much appreciated as im having no joy here!!:(

Thanks

Dean

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Dean, think I mentioned to you before about the difficulty I had in trying to remove a Cooper spoiler.

It is not only bolted on, it is bonded the length of the roof too. I eventually gave up and asked my dad to help, and he tried with a thin wire to effectively saw through the glue. It was nigh on impossible, and we eventually gave up.

I'm sure with a lot of patience, perseverence, skinned knuckles and swearing you might get it, but it won't be a quick job.

Not sure what state the paint on the roof will be in either...

·
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah weve had this conversation before, but im determined to get this thing off!! and ive already bought the new spoiler, i guess the best to do is to try with a hair dryer and try to get the thing heated up and removed!! time will tell i guess!;)

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
Ive done this on my cooper over a year ago....

Me and another guy simply got hold off it and ripped it off as it was that tough, you just need lots of effort and it'l come off eventually. it left the glue behind which i cleaned up then the holes left i simply plugged with a bung from B&Q.

We stood behind the car and pushed up on the spoiler till it started to give, then slowly easied it off to not push it on the roof and mark the paint.

Scott

·
Registered
315 Posts
re:

Scotty did you find there was much give in the metal on the roof? We started trying to push it up, but the roof started to flex because the glue was so strong - bit worried that we were going to warp the metal :rolleyes:

It's certainly not for coming off in a hurry :p
hi,
i referred to my bentey manual which recommends " a warm air blower" - i used my girlfriends 2000w hair dryer. it is a 2 man job. one person angling the hair dryer so the hot air is loosening the adhesive- you can combine this with a butter knife - nothing toosharp as you don't want to scratch the paint-although you'll still need to be careful, - this worked for me, the heat loosend the adhesive enought for the knife to push/cut it out of the way, and the other pushing very very hard. - it will come off! presumably you've removed the bolts - there are 2 on the cooper i think.
when you're pushing,try to keep it as vertical as possible, other wise, the bolts on the spoiler can scratch the paint work as the spoiler comes off around the hole area.
hope this helps,
sy

·
Whining....
1,901 Posts
Would a wee bit of petrol soften up the adhesive at all? No idea what kind of stuff is used to hold the MINI spoilers on but I know petrol made a good job of cleaning up glue residue from paintwork on my old classic! ;)

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
Scotty did you find there was much give in the metal on the roof? We started trying to push it up, but the roof started to flex because the glue was so strong - bit worried that we were going to warp the metal :rolleyes:

TBH we were to busy using all our effort in pushing on it to look anywhere but there was certainly no damage.

When it started to give i no remember cutting the glue as it stretched.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Me and Dean were pushing up very hard on the spoiler and it was starting to move a bit but so was the roof so we stopped.
The screws werent really needed with it.

i reckon a hairdryer and a good bit of time will get it off.:D

·
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive done this on my cooper over a year ago....

Me and another guy simply got hold off it and ripped it off as it was that tough, you just need lots of effort and it'l come off eventually. it left the glue behind which i cleaned up then the holes left i simply plugged with a bung from B&Q.

We stood behind the car and pushed up on the spoiler till it started to give, then slowly easied it off to not push it on the roof and mark the paint.

Scott
thanks scott!

i think im going to give this another wee go tonight, have to find my sisters hairdryer and ill try and get this thing moving!

we had that same problem too, pushing it so hard that the roof was flexing! i guess a bit of heat will hopefully loosen it up a bit!:(:hmph:

ill keep yous posted!:)

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
i havent thought about that yet? that wouldnt make it harder would it?
If you heated it up until it was tacky, lifted it until the bond separated then put cold water on it so it wouldnt stick again??

Just trying to think of a way of doing ti so you dont have to worry about it resticking as you work your way along the spoiler.

·
Registered
315 Posts
re:

yeah weve had this conversation before, but im determined to get this thing off!! and ive already bought the new spoiler, i guess the best to do is to try with a hair dryer and try to get the thing heated up and removed!! time will tell i guess!;)
the hairdryer definitely will work, same as you when i tryed just pushing, the roof began to flex. it takes about 10 minutes of hairdryer heat to begin to loosen the adhesive, the key is having 2 people. one person continuously pushing up so there is enough ot a gap for the hot air to pass into between the spoiler and the roof and work it's magic with the adhesive! if you're local i can give you a hand.

sy

·
Firefly
164 Posts
Taking mine of my old cooper proved to be a real pain in the arse! It's a bit brutal but I assure you that your roof will be fine! If you use one of those thinner nozzles on the hair dryer you can really aim that hot air into the gap I found!

There is some flex in the cooper spoiler too so once you get one end going you can then carefully start to cut the foam double sided tape carefully with a stanley blade which as you work your way along helps release it even more.

Good luck with it though, it will look so cool when its done... will make you appreciate the spoiler.... and if the JCW one is your thing then we will shortly be getting some nice m7 ones that have not been seen before in the UK and it will be nowhere near the cost of the JCW one whilst not looking like you let halfords loose on your car ;)

·
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys, well i never got the chance to get at it tonight, but i will definately be getting this done either tomorrow or the weekend! so neecd to find a hairdryer, nozzle, hot water and a match!! oh and a helper to get this thing off!! lol

@ sy
i live in northern ireland so i dont think im close to you? but thanks for the offer of help! ;):D (think if i talk nice to darthblader he'll maybe give the spoiler a push or too with me on saturday? lol!!)

·
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well finally managed to get the spoiler off, and i have to agree, they dont come off easy at all!

after spending ages pushing and pulling the spoiler with my dad and no joy, I then decided to heat the front with the heairdryer for a bit until the unit was hot, then we both pushed off, saw it move and then that was it, although we accidentally slid it across the roof:eek:, so a bit of paint has chipped from the centre hole, but nothing some touch up paint wont sort out! i just need to find something that i can cover the hole with now:hmph:

ill upload some pics as soon as, thanks for youre help on this guys!!!!;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts