MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Can anybody tell me if there is a particular solution which is good for removing the glue from window tints?

I have pulled off the tint, as advised by the polite police officer which stopped and fined me today, but am left with the sticky residue. Been at one window for 2 hours now, there must be an easier way for the next one!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James, had a look , but all products are based in USA and I'm off on my hols next week so won't arrive. I was hoping for something I could pick up today and get it sorted. Thanks for the advise though.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
you could try autoglym tar or bug remover from halfords but not sure itll work on glue

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks James, I found a site selling the Goo Gone in the UK about £8 inc postage, so should be with me tomorrow or sat. It's a bit hot in this weather though as the windows won't go down because of the glue, air cons doing over time!

Thanks again for the tip!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes he used a light meter. He explained that they had been asked to crack down on them by VOSA. It was the front windows, the min is 70% of light being let through mine was 18.2%!!!
You can have rear windows as dark as you like.

I had bought the car with them on in May and was looking into how to get them off, but looked tricky. Policeman lied when he said washing up liquid and hot water would do the trick!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok glue all off now, but hard work!

The Goo Gone is ok, smells nice, but lots of elbow greese required and slow going. Neighbour saw me and suggested household polish, works a treat! Still takes a while as the glue is pretty thick so you have to break it down. The combination of the two worked well.

Nail polish remover (oil based) seemed to work best, but I couldn't do the fumes for so long!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I didn't take the window out, wouldn't know how to!

You don't need much pressure, just perseverance! 4 hours in total. You also have to make sure you get right down to the bottom or else the windows will still get stuck.

I now have the cleanest windows ever!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts