MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is this compared to a S/C pulley?

I want to put the standard crank pulley back on and maybe fit a 17% pulley soon if i keep the car as i would like more mid range torque.

The pulley is more accseible than the S/C pulley but is it a straight un-bolt and replace?

I like to keep costs down by keeping the labour rates to a minimum so anyhelp would be grateful,

Scott

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Hmmm its easier said than done.

All you need to do is remove the belt, undo the bolt and use a 3 arm puller but you need to get behind the centre section. Using the outer section of the pulley will just bend it! When mine was done the arms had to be ground down to fit behind the pulley and then straight off.

Can be done in an hour....

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Sorry i meant the puller for the crank pulley, ive got the stock crank pulley.

While im on this subject how dificult is it off a job to put a stock pulley back on a S/C from an Alta 15%?
I would imagine it to be quite hard to get the stock pulley back on when the S/C is on the car. When I removed my pulley the force needed was a lot so I would think you probably have to heat the pulley up and freeze the S/C shaft.

I have got a new S/C sitting on the shelf if I ever wanted to go back to stock so that might be a better option for you to buy another S/C with stock pulley on.

or just get a stock size aftermarket pulley

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
I would imagine it to be quite hard to get the stock pulley back on when the S/C is on the car. When I removed my pulley the force needed was a lot so I would think you probably have to heat the pulley up and freeze the S/C shaft.

I have got a new S/C sitting on the shelf if I ever wanted to go back to stock so that might be a better option for you to buy another S/C with stock pulley on.

or just get a stock size aftermarket pulley
Very sensible :) I havent heard of anyone putting the stock pully back on but im sure if you heat it really hot and get it right first time putting it on you'll be ok :)

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking of buying a new S/C with teflon blades at some point so i might aswel if i need to.

The other option is to get the stock size pulley from Alta and put that on but i would'nt want to sell it with that on although it will be stock size.

·
Supercharger Noiseaholic
186 Posts
You can't get a stock pulley back on, the force required is huge and the heat would be enough to shorten the S/C life dramatically.
Because when you remove the pulley you brace it against the shaft meaning the only force applied to the S/C is directly onto the pulley, when you're putting it back on you don't have any way of bracing the shaft, meaning you'll be applying all the force to the internals, such as the vanes, gears etc, that to me sounds like a recipe for something to touch and collapse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts