MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought chrome surrounds for my speedo and heater vents a while ago, and am getting round to getting them fitted today- first reaosnable day there's been! I've managed to locate and unscrew the torx screws on the front of the dash, and the one in the glove box, but apparently there's another one under the trim under the steering wheel. Problem is, how do you take this trim off? I've had a gentle tug at it, but i dont think i want to pull it too hard- is it attached by clips or what? how do you remove this bit to get at that final screw? Any help would be much appreciated, coz im dying to get these on! :cool:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
What bit are we talking about?

Have you read the FAQ on replacing your chrome?

If you're trying to remove the bolster, you just pull it (top first) and it comes free, although it's tough! If you've got the earlier parcel shelf, there's torx screws at the top, but they're visible (i'd assume you've got the bolster and "cubby" under there though, going by your build date).

There isn't usually a torx screw under that side of the centre piece of the dash though.

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul you're the man! Yep, I've printed off your step by step guide, and was settling down into working my way through it when i came to this bit. The car is jan 04, so theres no parcel shelf, its the cubby as you say. I did wonder whether there would be a screw under the steering wheel, as in some of the FAQs, it says there's usually only 3... However, I've unscrewed my 3 (2 on dash, and 1 in glovebox), as mentioned in my 1st post, and tried to wiggle the centre dash a bit, but there is so little give in it, I began to wonder then was there actually another screw that needed to come out. Guess i'm just afraid of pulling, pushing or twisting too hard in case something snaps....... :(

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oooo nnoooo! I don't want hard mods, I want easy things!Knowing me, I'll snap something that shouldnt be snapped. Drat Drat DRAT! If there's anyone near me who's done this mod and is brave enough to come and do it for me- come and save me please!!! Can't wait to do it coz i trial fitted the 2 vent chrome rings, and they are SO sweet! Looks a bit odd with the grey speedo though :(

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay, i'll give it a try. Paul, sorry to be a pain, but do you think it's worth pulling it off? I mean, you seem to be fairly sure there's no screws in there I need to get at... How hard do I need to pull the actual dash to dislodge it? Maybe I just havent been pulling at that bit hard enough...

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
nylo, are you trying to remove the speedo?

trust me give it a good tug, if you lived a bit closer I would gladly help out as I have done this only a few weeks ago :)

jp

·
Registered
402 Posts
i had this truble

right the easy way is to get sumthing thin and wide like a wallpaper scaper wrap in sumet soft tissue or rag put it in the gap between the dash and need bolster were the pins keeping it in p[lace r top left and right couners and lever it while pulling it will just pop out thats how i did it on my 04 mcs
hope this helps

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jpsmini said:
nylo, are you trying to remove the speedo?

trust me give it a good tug, if you lived a bit closer I would gladly help out as I have done this only a few weeks ago :)

jp

What you doing on thursday jp? im working up derry direction ;)
Yep, trying to remove the grey speedo surround to replace it with my yummy chrome one... by the sound of it guys, i'm just being far too big a big girls blouse then, it just needs a wee bit more force than I was using? By the sound of it, I should have a couple of smirnoff ices and then just get on with the damn thing!! :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts