MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
NO but that looks good, I tried the way that is suggested on MINI2 with a screw driver or knife without removing the mirror itself but couldn't do it, got bit scared of applying too much force I think.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
They pull of very easy on the 2nd gen - much easier than 1st gen & the clips are much better than on 1st gen (don't break so easily) A plastic spatula or trim tool is good

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They pull of very easy on the 2nd gen - much easier than 1st gen & the clips are much better than on 1st gen (don't break so easily) A plastic spatula or trim tool is good
Thanks Mikey.

Could you describe your method pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :D

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decided to go for the "remove the mirror glass" method.

Absolute doddle. It took about 1 minute per side ;)

New chequered covers look ace :cool:

Thanks to a kind chap on newminiscotland for selling them to me :smile:

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A word of caution. I managed to break one of my mirror glasses on my current car doing this. I think it may be because my latest ones are not heated and perhaps more fragile.

So, I would go with the levering with a screwdriver method now.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I took mine off using a common kitchen knife. I moved the glass into a position where I could see a clip then pushed the clip up with the flat of the blade. Once I'd done that to two of the clips, the mirror cap just popped off. Only down side is that it is easier if there are two of you, one to operate the mirrors and one to 'clip flick'.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took mine off using a common kitchen knife. I moved the glass into a position where I could see a clip then pushed the clip up with the flat of the blade. Once I'd done that to two of the clips, the mirror cap just popped off. Only down side is that it is easier if there are two of you, one to operate the mirrors and one to 'clip flick'.
Thanks Sarah.

Did you "un-clip" the top ones or the bottom ones first?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I actually did the 'outside' ones on the first mirror and the top ones on the second. It doesn't seem to matter which two (though obviously not those diagonally opposing one another ;) ) Once I'd got two clips loose the caps sort of jumped off so keep a tight hold on them.
I was ultra careful as I'd heard that the clips were delicate but I suspect you don't need to be too gentle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts