MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to remove my 2 spoke steering wheel from my S as I'm replacing it with a 3 spoke wheel - Thanks

Alex :confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts
1. disconnect battery for at least 10 minutes!
2. remove two torx screws at the rear of the wheel
3. take out airbag, disconnect cables
4. take of the big centre nut
5. take of the steering wheel

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Make sure the steering wheel is located with the wheels pointed straight ahead before you start. That makes it easier to line up the new steering wheel.

You'll likely need a steering wheel puller tool too. In the US, we can rent/borrow the tool from a parts store instead of buying it. I don't know if you have that option in the UK though. Shouldn't be expensive even if you have to buy it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The steering wheel as well as the hub has a small mark. If you line these two up you should have nor problem fitting it right. I changed a few wheels already and never needed a puller so far. Just don´t forget to disconnect the battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing this mod aswell. Is there any safety percautions with the removal of the airbag? How easy or difficult is this mod if you have a multifuntion sterring wheel?

·
Registered
61 Posts
P.S. I have a multifuntion 2 spoke now and just want a mukrifuntion 3 spoke. The Mini parts book says 370usd for the wheel. Is installation hard?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts