MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their runflat with conventional tires?
I have an S with sports suspension which corners like a slot car but rides like a F1 car.
I thought that, since run flats need really stiff sidewalls to work, the ride might smooth out a bit if I replaced them with conventional tires and carried a small air compressor and flat repair kit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I replaced runflats on my MC (Sport suspension, but not plus) and found the ride to be much improved overall and considerably quieter. If you do a search I'm sure you will find numerous other stories of success w/ runflat replacements.

You might also want to take a look at the Tyre Statistics. There you will get a good idea of what tires people are running -- most of them are non run flats.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
indimini said:
I replaced runflats on my MC (Sport suspension, but not plus) and found the ride to be much improved overall and considerably quieter. If you do a search I'm sure you will find numerous other stories of success w/ runflat replacements.

You might also want to take a look at the Tyre Statistics. There you will get a good idea of what tires people are running -- most of them are non run flats.
Yours aren't included in the Tire Statistics ... what size, brand and model tires are you running?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm running 205/50-16 Kumho Ecsta KH11 W-speed rated tires. I went to a grand touring design on my MC for improved ride comfort and reduced road noise. I'd probably go w/ something more aggressive for the S however.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm running 225/45/17 Faulken Azenis. Slight rubbing issue on the rear tires, but nothing to worry about. Much better than the runcraps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yokohama AVS ES100

I recently replaced the runflats on my 17" S wheels with non run-flats (Yokohama AVS ES-100) and I honestly don't notice as much of a difference as I expected, unfortunately. It may be 10% smoother, but not reason enough to switch, by itself. I did it mainly because of the cost difference, with a side hope that the ride might improve a bit. These do seems like damn good tires, though, as far as handling and grip - at least as good as the stock Dunlops were.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts