MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MCS is 1 year old (15,000kms) and I've had to have the supercharger and power steering rack replaced. I'm starting to question the quality of Mini and BMW and after reading about all the other problems in this forum, I'm wondering whether the mini is poor quality and bad value for money. It sounds like to mini will be expensive to maintain after the warranty expires. I really love my mini and am looking for reassurance to hold on to it but I don't know if the problems are coincidental or are signs of things to come.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ruby said:
My MCS is 1 year old (15,000kms) and I've had to have the supercharger and power steering rack replaced. I'm starting to question the quality of Mini and BMW and after reading about all the other problems in this forum, I'm wondering whether the mini is poor quality and bad value for money. It sounds like to mini will be expensive to maintain after the warranty expires. I really love my mini and am looking for reassurance to hold on to it but I don't know if the problems are coincidental or are signs of things to come.
The steering problems are well documented on here, I 've had a new steering rack too :(
Not heard of too many people having supercharger problems though :confused:

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
on earlier cars (2002 builds, for example), things like this aren't too uncommon. I've had lots of bits replaced on my car.

I've heard of superchargers being swapped out on JCW cars because of some noise that makes the car sound like a parrot - is that what you experienced?

Dealers will often swap parts out rather than do real diagnostic work to find the heart of the problem.

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
I have had my car for 8 months and 20000km and I drive its a$$ off and it is hanging in just fine:)

Except I think there is a fault with my runflats... they keep going bald!!:eek:

Todd

·
Registered
37 Posts
me too

I had the steering rack replaced in the first 12 months as well as the supercharger which had a pin hole......

I have also had many other parts replaced - electric window motor, centre dial cluster, exterior trim, interior trim, door handle, ash tray, etc etc, and various other issues.

Its not 'normal', but its not that unusual either.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had my steering rack changed because of a recall???? The contractor here in Darwin said that my car came up on their system as requiring a new steering rack, under a recall. Needless to say that the new power steering made a worse noise than the already perfectly quite old system...... it did quieten down and is now un-noticeable.

Dutchy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, my supercharger was making a loud noise when revved, like a sewing machine. They replaced the supercharger and couldn't offer me an explanation as to why I needed a new one at just only 10,000kms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The steering is a common problem. I've had the rack replaced and am having the power steering pump replaced this week. Hopefully that will fix the intermitent assistance and strange noises.

Nothing yet on the supercharger although it does make a tick or hammering sound when accelerating hard. They tell me that is normal. Let's hope so.

Apart from a few other things, everthing else is ok.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
martymini said:
Nothing yet on the supercharger although it does make a tick or hammering sound when accelerating hard. They tell me that is normal. Let's hope so.
That's definately a normal noise - all S's do it :)

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
I had to get m power steering rack replaced afer about 3 months i think.. had lots of other things replaced also.. too many to mention! ive aleady forgotten most of them :)

thing seem to be much better these days though..

·
Were there Oompa loompas?
4,146 Posts
martymini said:
If you talking about a rapid ticking sound that's probably best described as a playing card in the spokes of a bike, then they have literally just released a revised harmonic damper (ie a new part number) as there were apparently some issues with the rubber compound that they used in the original which was causing problems for some people. Mine has pretty much done this since new and they will finally (fingers crossed :rolleyes: ) be fixing this on Monday (YAY! :D ).

Sorry to go off topic :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts