MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· potential future mini man
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - looks like taking the brake light assembly apart is a bit of a pain - removing the trim, etc. Lots of opportunity for clips to break, etc. When you get a burnt out bulb, do you just replace the one bulb, or do you replace them all when you're in there?

Secondly, it's the op brake light that's burnt out. It looks like a clear bulb. Can I replace with an LED P21W bulb without issue? Or do I need to replace with a traditional bulb? And if I do go the LED route, does it need to be red? Even though the traditional bulbs are clear?

Thanks for your help!

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Hi, not sure your make and model. Most likely need to disable bulb/voltage monitoring via Carly BMW Pro/Bimmercode for 2nd gen or newer MINIs. Not sure about 1st gen MINIs.

Just replace the one bulb like for like, unless you want to replace all with LEDs.

If in the UK, your brake lights needs to displaying RED during MOT or else it'll fail. To acieve this with LEDs brake light bulb, you'll need to purchase the RED LED bulbs and not the WHITE ones.

· potential future mini man
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, not sure your make and model. Most likely need to disable bulb/voltage monitoring via Carly BMW Pro/Bimmercode for 2nd gen or newer MINIs. Not sure about 1st gen MINIs.

Just replace the one bulb like for like, unless you want to replace all with LEDs.

If in the UK, your brake lights needs to displaying RED during MOT or else it'll fail. To acieve this with LEDs brake light bulb, you'll need to purchase the RED LED bulbs and not the WHITE ones.
Hey - thanks for the response. It's a 2013 Mini Countryman. I didn't even consider potential bulb/voltage monitoring. I did get an alert on my screen that there was a brake light issue, so I expect this might be something that needs to be disabled or reset or something?

Not sure if I want to replace like for like, or replace all with LEDs... I'll look into the cost.

I'm in Canada, but I think I'd still get the red bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.