MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me.
i have a mini bought march 2004... a few months ago noticed started to sound a bit louder and less smooth when driving. had no problems putting it into gear or anything.
then a few weeks ago on motor way took off a lightds and it felt weird like it was going to cut out when i was taking off and sure enough on a dual carriageway during rush hour it competely cut out and wouldn't go back into gear. ayway towed the car home,, noticed oil and everything over the floor.
....so apparantly need a whole new gearbox as there is absolutely no way to salvage it
i then went and bought a 2005 gear box but apparantly this doesnt fit into an march 04 mini.

can anyone explain what year gearboxes fit into march 04 cooper and what the cheapest option is to fix it

please help thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
They changed on the facelift which was July 04 so anything before then wil fit as long as its a cooper or one.
Im affraid by the sounds of it, it will need another gearbox, salvage one is cheaper but the same could happen again if you dont knows its past. I would recommened a recon gearbox.

·
MINI EXPERT
13 Posts
yeah the same has just happened to me.(you need a midland gearbox which is from rover i beleive) i have a 2003 mini and my gearbox has just gone, i dont have first gear and second is jumpy apart from that i have the other gears, does any one know a good gearbox recondition garage or anywhere i can get gearboxes from in north london area/ hertfordshire

1 - 3 of 3 Posts