MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Keep on Coopering
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering to change our mirror covers (currently black, checkered is wanted). I found and read the "how-to" document in the Technical section. It looks really easy. But, is it really as easy as it looks?

Dealer is charging ~ 40 Euros (and that is even a "special price") because it is such a difficult job. Is he right or b*********ing me?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Never done it myself, but I've read on numerous post that it's a pretty simple job

·
The REAL King of Bling
261 Posts
I got chrome mirrors a while ago and fitted them myself. They have sticky bits on the inside and just stick over the standard mirrors. Its very easy but if you dont get the mirror positioned correctly when its stuck on, then you're screwed :D

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
I've just ordered some Union Flag wing mirror covers and will be self fitting them as the dealer was charging a astronomical fee for doing it so stuff BMW! But if anyone could send me the link for the "MINI2 Self Fitting of Wing Mirrors" thread I will be most oblieged as it wasn't working when I tried to access it to make sure I could do it! And do the covers contain instructions for doing it or do the BMW fitters have a huge "bible" of fitting work that they and only they can access? :confused:

Cheers Peeps!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I've done it! Swapped my plastic mini one caps for glossy painted mirror caps. Its quite easy if you know what your doing. You'll need a few tesspoons with thin handles.

The idea is that you angle your electric mirror down all the way so that to can see behind it. Sometimes moving the wingmirror so that the cap is facing down gives you a better view. There are 3 clips underneath along the top of the mirror and 2 along the bottom quite far back that hold the cap to the housing. If you lift up the three clips on the top the cap just to pop off so watch out if you want to reuse them. Basically it. easier to see when theres photos but if that thread isn't working then give it a go. Do not try and prise the cap away from the housing that won't work these caps are really strong. If you have a new set to put on see where the clips are on them and then try and then relate this to your caps. I had to leave a few spoons under the clips to stop them from reattaching so then they just slide off.

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
I love MINI said:
I've done it! Swapped my plastic mini one caps for glossy painted mirror caps. Its quite easy if you know what your doing. You'll need a few tesspoons with thin handles.

The idea is that you angle your electric mirror down all the way so that to can see behind it. Sometimes moving the wingmirror so that the cap is facing down gives you a better view. There are 3 clips underneath along the top of the mirror and 2 along the bottom quite far back that hold the cap to the housing. If you lift up the three clips on the top the cap just to pop off so watch out if you want to reuse them. Basically it. easier to see when theres photos but if that thread isn't working then give it a go. Do not try and prise the cap away from the housing that won't work these caps are really strong. If you have a new set to put on see where the clips are on them and then try and then relate this to your caps. I had to leave a few spoons under the clips to stop them from reattaching so then they just slide off.
Cheers again Laura! Now all I got to do is go and pick them up from Odiham and basically Brit MINI will be complete!

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
Just stick your finger in the gaps and pull hard. Dont bother with other crap, just pull hard and it wont brake. There very strong. Sounds bad when you're doing it but its all good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just ordered some Union Flag wing mirror covers and will be self fitting them as the dealer was charging a astronomical fee for doing it so stuff BMW! But if anyone could send me the link for the "MINI2 Self Fitting of Wing Mirrors" thread I will be most oblieged as it wasn't working when I tried to access it to make sure I could do it! And do the covers contain instructions for doing it or do the BMW fitters have a huge "bible" of fitting work that they and only they can access? :confused:

Cheers Peeps!
I am rubbish at anything technical but just gave it a go with the spoon technique... took 5 mins and they look great!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I wish I had found it that simple! I bought a pair of Astro Black mirror caps of here for £40 (a fraction of their £140 dealer price) and I managed to bugger one up when I fitted them. I got both of the standard black ones off no problem, but it was putting the new ones back on when I hit trouble. :(

I managed to break two clips of the drivers side mirror, and I thought that they were destined for the bin. Luckily however my local dealer offered to fit the remaining undamaged on for me and they used some flexible adhesive to attach the other damaged one at the top where the clips had shattered. You could never tell that it was once broken, and is more firmly fitted than the undamaged one. :smile:

They did that for me at zero cost. Its probably the only decent thing they have ever done though, as a few months later their incompetence caused me to shift all business to Woodmans. :eek::p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts