MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My other car is a Mini
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I have a "restraint system faulty" warning come up every time I start my car, I have to click on it with the joy stick to clear it off the nav screen, however it pops up on the little screen on the Tachometer (where the speed is usually displayed) and the airbag and seat belt warning lights on the centre console remain lit. I have had the error reset three times now, sometimes it lasts for a few weeks before popping up again, some times a few days.

Has anyone had this? How to fix it? Can the error be cleared using the two buttons on the Tacho?

My regular service guys said that they don't know what it could be and said that it could just be a matter of pulling things apart until they find the error, which could take hours (i.e.$$$) or it might be a five minute job if they locate the problem quickly. They said that this sometimes happens with BMWs, but they had never seen it in a mini (2007 R56 JCW). The service guys said that when the error lights are on, the airbag and seat-belt pre-tensioner system is totally disabled and will not operate in an accident. Now I'm not planning on having an accident, but there are F***ing hopless drivers in Adelaide who don't have a clue how to drive, so it is important to have this system working.

So, apart from paying the service people to investigate, does anyone have any ideas about this?

Cheers! Richard

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
if the services guys were much cop they would of before resetting any warning scanned it for the codes and their meanings there will be codes set for a clue to where to start,, if have back seat passengers a lot and seats slide to allow people on back etc common are the under seat squibs for seats ie the wiring and special plugs can corrode or get pulled over time,, another common one is steering wheel squib thats a tiny cable with on steering wheel assembly, is has abs and disc warning then common abs pump or when sensors, but all this is guess work and guess work is the mother of all f,,,ups,, need a diagnostics scanner that covers all mini bmw codes not many do autocom cdp plus or wurth snooper or bmw own software insta off ebay cheapest options, as for diagnosing without such software well its limited to check wiring and sensors but will have no way of checking the ecu's involved without software

·
My other car is a Mini
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service guy scanned and checked the error code, all it came up with was restraint system fault. He said that it is an intermittent fault (evidenced by the fact that it gets reset and is OK for days or weeks) and that to find it could take hours to isolate. He said that most likely it is the clockspring in the steering wheel airbag, but if not, it could be one of a number of other things needing time to investigate. I currently don't have the $$$ to spend on the guy chasing an intermittent fault, but I will check the seatbelt sensor wiring etc wherever I can. Cheers!

·
My other car is a Mini
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Richard,

3 years on, just wondering if you ever found a fix for your Mini?
Yes it was the clock-spring mechanism. It got to the point where it would only be a matter of a day or so from being reset that it would recur. I found a used, correct clockspring mechanism through a mini wreckers/classic mini dealer. The whole unit has to be changed, as it is a single unit with the indicator and wiper stalks. Because there are a number of variations in the functions of the stalks the whole piece is fairly model-specific. It has also has to have not been unwound when removed from the original car, or else it might have been damaged and the same problem will recur. It cost me Au$250, about 120 BP, installed and tested! I was happy, and even forgave them for putting the steering wheel one spline out when reassembling it all (they re-aligned the steering wheel when I took my car back the same day).
Cheers, Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts