MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my MINI Cooper a fortnight ago, and to my surprise, it hadn't been fitted with an alarm (I had specced one). The dealer agreed to fit an alarm, and I left my baby in on Monday to have the necessary work carried out. They said the car would be ready that day. It has now been four days, and they still cannot give me a completion date, even though they claim that they have been working on it solidly. They can't even promise that I'll get my car NEXT WEEK!

They claim that fitting an alarm to the 05 Cooper is much more complicated than they expected ... and that they are variously stripping back the roof, dash, rear seats etc. This is obviously scaring me ... the thought of my lovely new car being torn apart, and the dealers never having fitted an alram to the new Cooper.

Alarms are sensitive things, and I'm anxious that a poorly fitted alarm will go off all the time. Also, my car had a small rattle behind the dash, and I'm concerned that by taking the dash apart, the car will end up with more potential rattles.

Has anyone else had an alarm retro-fitted ... have you had any problems ... or can anyone shed light on why this is taking so long?

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
That doesnt sound too good mate, sorry to hear that. The last thing you want is for a brand new car to be taken apart. Don't have much knowledge about the alarms to be honest, but was just going to say that perhaps when they screw it all back together, the existing rattle will have gone. (trying to think of the positives here) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nylo. Coincidentally, I've just had a call from the dealers to say that the fit is complete. Fingers crossed all is OK. You'll be hearing more from me if it isn't.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Factory alarm?

Without knowing more details NIRLN, I hope the dealer is NOT taking your car apart to install the official Mini alarm! :eek:

All MINIs built after '03 are wired from the factory for the OEM alarm. I fitted the factory alarm myself in an hour, then was off to the dealer for activation.

You'd better find out what alarm is being installed.

·
Mini OneS Owner
150 Posts
heyduard,

Is that a retrofit kit? Where can I get it / OEM instructions guide?

Horgy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Horgy said:
Is there a link to the place I can get it in the US then?

Ta.

Horgy
hello horgy!

Classic Mini's website has the contact info for Parts. Ask for Brian. I do not know if they will ship international.

In the States, the OEM alarm is a retrofit kit. You do not want to know what my dealer wanted for fitment and parts.:mad: So I did myself. The alarm still has to be activated at a dealer. 1/2 hour labor for that.

Part numbers should be in the PDF in Eric's link.

Your local MINI service/parts counter should be able order the kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts