MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little helpful tip for everyone wishing to add Cruise Control to their standard 2 spoke steering wheel Countryman. On the cheap!!!

I had a 3 spoke, multi function steering wheel laid around after breaking a Countryman.
I always wanted to fit this onto the better halfs Countryman, which did not have cruise control from Factory.

After removing the two spoke steering wheel, I noticed the squib had the connection for the MFSW.
I managed to find an airbag for £45 posted on eBay. (A little tip, the steering wheel + steering wheel airbag on the R55 R56 R57 fit the Countryman)

Now all I have to do is, get a MINI dealership to code the CANBUS.

RESULT :big_grin:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Depends upon the year, pre LCI cars may or may not have the correct steering column switch (part with indicators/angle sensor) and if not, needs changing because the connector is there in them all but the part in those cars most likely does not have the internal connections for MFSW. (ask me how I know -lol). The coding can be done using NCS Expert but it is a PITA, probably worth an hour charge at dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2011 r55 I wish to retro fit this to. I have now got the 3 spoke steering wheel and the column switches (with auto h light function) . Once I get the airbag am I right in thinking once fitted to the car all I need to get it to work is the re program from main dealer???

Mtia

Regards

Jon

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi, if you have the correct column switch (Mini call it SZL) and you fit it then your HiFi controls should work without coding. The Cruise needs to be activated in SZL, that is correct. Also note that if you do not have the clock spring (center revolving part) in the right place you will get the trifecta warning lights (ABS/Brake and DSC) coming up and your indicators will not reset automatically, this is because the clock spring is also the angle sensor, so you'll need to adjust it. Trial and error inless you have a programme that can see the angle (INPA does this). Not much help but it is doable, if I did it anyone can :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi scudders

Is there a way to get the correct szl number required .
Thanks for the info so far a. great help

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
330 Posts
realoem.com will give you the most recent part number and as it says in that catalogue, all SZL units are now prepared for MFSW connection. I bought mine from somewhere in Holland online, new old stock I believe. Prices vary vastly.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have this szl scudder 6131-3451887 -03 but am unable to find it on the parts list. Is this a good one to use or a duff re cruise .
Thank you kindly in advance

Jon
This is from Realoem.com but may not be exactly your vehicle as not enough info (ie normally aspirated or S, US or Euro, etc). Go in yourself and this part is under 'Vehicle Electrical System'.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

There are diferrent part numbers depending upon your vehicle specification, rain sensors or not, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
Scudder
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing