MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes,i'm sure it can be done...I know someone who has sunroofs retrofitted on other cars...but the retrofits have done nothing but cause trouble. They leak and make a lot of noise. I don't know if she just got unlucky and took it to a bad shop. I know I wouldn't take the risk of attempting it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Cautionary Tale

The reason I asked about a retro sunroof is because I've just picked up my new Cooper and was stunned when it didn't have a sunroof (sunroof was No1 in my list of extras).

When I went back through the printed dealer spec (which I had signed two months ago) I was horrified to see that the sunroof was not on their list. I remember that when I first specced the car in the dealership, there was a problem with their PC, and the dealer had to redo it. They must have forgotten to put the sunroof on again.

But unfortunately, when they asked me to check the spec and sign it, I obviously wasn't thorough enough. The Cooper I ordered has loads of extras, so the printout was a long one, and I just didn't notice that the roof wasn't on there (I ordered the Elec folding mirrors, which I probably confused with Elec Panor Sunroof, by the way it was abbreviated).

Obviously it's my fault as I should have been more meticulous about checking the spec. But the dealer printout is a long list, with small letters and abbreviations, and they make you read it and sign it on the spot, rather than going back through it with you. I guess it's an easy mistake to miss something. Sadly for me, I wish it had been something like the alarm, or chromed wing mirrors, which would be a lot easier to refit than a sunroof.

So now I have a beautiful Cooper, with loads of extras, but not the sunroof that I so wanted. I'm not sure a retro fit is possible, so short of selling the car at a loss, and then reordering one with a sunroof, I'm just going to be philosophical and love my car for what it is. It's just very disappointing that I'd taken so long to plan my spec and heeded all the advice on this site ... tand now one little ****-up has cost me the exact car that I wanted. Summer won't be the same.

So advice to all of you ordering your dream MINI: CHECK THE SPEC.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Will not do it!!! As much as I love my sunroof, it is already the cause of so many rattles in the car, with the car being 3 years old, I can now hear the chassis twist ever so slightly on uneven roads (like coming off the pavement) and you lose the headroom. Said that, still love it but as an aftermarket thing, I will not go anywhere near it. The original is glass front and rear and the webasto one is fabic and I do not think they leave a substantial structal cross member behind (like the factory one) but just chop it all off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just spoken to the dealer and they're still not sure whether a retro fit is possible.
If it is possible, it will probably be prohibitively expensive.
And judging by some of the comments I'd run an increased risk of leaks and rattles.
In short, it looks like I'll have to get used to life without it.
I'm really doing my best to convince myself that the MINI is just as enjoyable without the sunroof. Any words of encouragement from sunroofless people will be much appreciated.
And it's my birthday today. So be nice!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
IMO the MINI is far better without sunroof, air con takes care of the temp, and with the sunroof in place you loose head room for what the gain of light from above?

Don't keep hitting yourself for missing it on the spec, its easy done, enjoy your MINI and perhaps treat yourself to a nice roof graphic to make you think actually I couldn't have had this if I had a sun roof;) another reason I love my MINI without the sunroof:)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
Happy Birthday Nirln

No sunroof Cooper owner here! A few words of encouragement for you...

The sunroof is great, but life is good without one as well.

You get the extra headroom and no possible bother from leaks (already mentioned) but also you loose about 85 Kg of unnecessary glass and metal from the very top of the car. The effect of losing a sunroof must be about the same as removing a fully loaded roof rack; With a usefully lowered C of G, just think of the improvement in your car's cornering ability....

Tigger.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I assume you're in England, where R&S Coachbuilts will install the original Webasto folding roof in your MINI. However, I don't think it would be a great idea and it may make it impossible to sell your MINI later.

But, R&S does an excellent job with these folding roofs and they do not leak, I am told. Here's the website: http://www.tudorwebasto.com/

Too bad about your dealer's failure, good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, the dealer called to say that they can only install the folding roof, which is obviously NOT an option.

To be honest, I think that after only three days I've already bonded with my MINI, and the idea of cutting a hole in his head is not one that appeals!

Thanks for the few positive comments from sunroofless MINI owners.
As I live in Scotland, a sun roof is probably unnecessary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.