MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a realistic possibility?

I often see "complete sets" of used sat nav kit on eBay (head unit. LCD, steering wheel controls....) but if the car didn't have sat nav from the factory would there be a need to do major loom reworking in order to fit the sat nav retrospectively?

Thanks,

Steve

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great thanks everyone.

I fitted a dual-DIN Android unit to our Picasso and it's been great, for the Mini I wanted to retain (/add) the original in-speedo sat nav to keep things looking as "stock" as possible.

Regarding coding - is this a main-dealer task?

· Registered
591 Posts
I doubt any dealer will code it for you as they have not done the installation work. They probably wont know how to code it anyway. Coding details are in the links knt provided but NCS Expert is not intuitive.
These Chinese Android Units look pretty stock once installed and are indeed plug and play with far more features than just GPS. They are a full android OS system with navigation, etc. I have one in my R57 and not only does it do everything a tablet would, it is a much better sound for music even with stock speakers, the built in amp is superior.

· Registered
49 Posts
So what you are saying is that it's not worth it at this point?
I hate that the Chinese DINS do not have the same elegance as the F56 units (but try to look like one).

Does any of the Chinese units cooperate with the steering wheel controls?
I wanted to install the original display in order to make the car more "advanced" and more "up to date".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.