MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to start a new thread, but after searching, I can't find a definitive answer this. Anyhow, I have bought the ipod interface kit from BMW and thought I might try and avoid the $200 fitting charge, as I have heard on here somewhere, that it is pretty straight forward to fit.

So, has anybody fitted one of these who is willing to give some advice on how to go about it. I asked BMW for the installation instructions, but they said they don't have any, even though on the label on the box of kit says the customer should be given them. I might try a different person tomorrow.

But in case I get no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that the plastic slot in the storage compartment has to come out, but any idea how? I don't want to force anything and end up breaking it.

I also asked BMW about the car needing programming afterwards, and was told it didn't need it. Again, after reading on here that it does, I would like to know for sure from someone who has reto-fitted on of these.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
No-one has fitted one of these, as they need coding, and are useless without coding.

The fitting part is the easy bit though, about half hour job, just take apart the passenger side of the dash, no need to take out the stereo for this part either.

But then its about 4 hours of coding at the dealers which is when they'll ask you to drop your trousers and bend over;)

So if you want to avoid the cost you should have brought this instead http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-interior-ice/157468-last-reasonable-priced-ipod-solution-2nd-gen-mini.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I looked at that option, but I wanted a more integrated solution and didn't really want anymore holders attached to the dash. The BMW option allows the ipod to kept out of sight and allows control via the MFSW.

I will be having words with BMW service, as they assured me no programming was required.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
well if they don't know it needs programming then I'd not be letting them do the work, as I'd be surprised if they know their ass from their elbows;)

You can fit Mikeys option in the glove box if you like, just not got the track controls on the head unti though like you say.

Or you could wait until he has the kit out the fit a standard head unit in there;)

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
As he says - on 2nd gen Minis fitting takes minutes but then the car needs coding
My local dealer says it takes 2 hours - 24 hours.
The software in the Mini is very flakey & when doing updates quite often crashes, then the whole car can need reprogramming
We have a fully integrated ipod solution - & we have a programmer in development but that won't help you on the other side of the world

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I just hooked it up (didn't have time to fit it properly) and....it doesn't work without being programmed. Damn, I should have known that when the MINI dealer said it doesn't need programming, what he actually meant was it did:rolleyes:

Anyhow, I went to see them this morning about the inaccurate info, and they kindly agreed to program it for me in exchange for a wad of cash, although they did throw in the actual fitting of it in with the price of the programming.

Now all I need to do is go back on Monday to get them to remove the rattle that has now appeared behind the secret compartment:angry:. I'm guessing they didn't use the felt pads that came with the kit when they fitted it.

On the whole, though, I am impressed with the sound quality and functionality available through the Boost head unit (non sat nave) and MFSW. I read somewhere on here, that you were limited to 6 playlists, one mapped to each of the CD changer disc number buttons. Well this is not true. You can have as many as you like. I tested this with about 12, and it displayed them all. Button 1 is used to list the playlists, button 2 lists by artist, button 3 by album, button 4 by genre, button 5 lists your podcasts and button 6 displays all songs (button 6 is pretty useless, especially if you have some 10,000 songs, as it takes a while to scroll through them).

The sound is converted and fed into the head unit by fibre optic cable, so any loss and interference is non existent and so the quality is very good (all my music is ripped at 192kbps).

Admittedly, not the cheapest solution, but wanting a fully integrated, out of sight solution, it was my only option.

Hope this helps someone else make the decision on whether to go for this option or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ipod interface r50 help!!

Hi, I was wondering if any one could help me?!

I have a mini cooper R50, with the h/k stereo and the cd changer in the boot. I recently bought a bmw ipod interface for it second hand. We followed all the instruction and but it doesnt seem to work. BMW says that it shouldnt need coding so i dont know if its just a faulty one.

The button i used to press to switch between TAPE, CD and FM, now only goes between tape and fm now that the ipod thing is connected.

Has anyone else come across this before and have any answers?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts