MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone retrofitted an auto-dimming rear view mirror?

The mirror itself only needs a 12volt supply and was wondering if anyone knows if the required plug was pre-installed in the base of the mirror on the lighting unit?

Cheers!! :smile:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Don't know buddy. I've not got one of these, I have the normal one and I don't see any obvious wiring in there.

I can't actually get a 100% snug fit when putting my mirror back on, anyone got any tips? Seems to require a huge amount of force...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Has anyone retrofitted an auto-dimming rear view mirror?

The mirror itself only needs a 12volt supply and was wondering if anyone knows if the required plug was pre-installed in the base of the mirror on the lighting unit?

Cheers!! :smile:
I looked into this months ago, as i read that the R53 came pre wired to suit. So i took mine off and then compared it to an auto dimming one in the local MINI dealers. Two wires missing ( power leads i believe ).

So the only way would be to 'tap' into the courtesy lights, but i didn't want to go 'non std.'

On the R56 the auto dimming mirror comes with quick clear front screen, so different wiring loom used i guess.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

The majority of modern cars use a standard loom and I was hoping somoene was going to tell me that the socket was sitting there ready and waiting. :hmph: :biggrin:

Hmmmmm really want to keep the car OEM as I loath bodge jobs, i'll have to think again. :redface:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Thanks guys.

The majority of modern cars use a standard loom and I was hoping somoene was going to tell me that the socket was sitting there ready and waiting. :hmph: :biggrin:

Hmmmmm really want to keep the car OEM as I loath bodge jobs, i'll have to think again. :redface:
On a recent MINI factory tour at Oxford we were shown the weight difference of different MINI wiring looms sitting in bags waiting to be fitted to MINI's on the production line with different options. There was a big difference in weight between a low spec MINI One and a high specced Cooper S wiring harness so these days computer production control allows them to fit only what the car requires with the options ordered, thus saving factory costs on each car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Retrofit to R56 Cooper S

Hi, i'm a new memeber and could do with some advice.

I have just bought a 2008 Cooper S. It only has a normal rear view mirror and I wanted to change it to an auto dimming version. I took the current mirror off and there is wiring running down the mirror support and into the base of it. Does this mean I only have to buy an ADRVM and just plug it in for it to work ?

Or is it more complicated than that ?

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know buddy. I've not got one of these, I have the normal one and I don't see any obvious wiring in there.

I can't actually get a 100% snug fit when putting my mirror back on, anyone got any tips? Seems to require a huge amount of force...
I found it easy if you take the casing around then support off first, twist the mirror back on and then snap the casing back around the support.

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts