MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am asking the questions for my friend, who recently bought a MINI Cooper R56 in China. He wants to retrofit a set of Bi-Xenon headlamp to his car, but has difficulty of getting hold of these headlamps with his dealer. There are three questions.

1. Can Bi-Xenon headlamps be retrofitted on a non-Xenon MINI Cooper R56?
2. If the answer is yes, then how hard would it be?
3. Can the UK Spec. Bi-Xenon headlamps (RHD) be used on Continent Spec. MINI Cooper by flicking a lever in the headlamps, and turn it into LHD?

I was asked to get a set of Bi-Xenon headlamps from the UK for him. But before I go ahead to purchase these expensive headlamps, I would like to find out the feasibility of retrofit.

Many thanks, guys!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover L405 SDV8 Autobiography
5,165 Posts
I have no idea what the legal situation is in China, but the one thing that makes this a non starter in the UK is that Xenons require self levelling and headlamp washers to be retro-fitted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, Tigger!

Good thing is, in China, there is no such requirements for Xenon headlamps. As long as the low beam has a clear cut off (similar to the Continent and US), not glaring the on-coming traffic, it would pass the test and be road worthy.

What I want to know are,

Is the retrofit possible?

and

Can the lever in the headlamp turn it from RHD to LHD effectively?

I don't have a R56 with Bi-Xenon, so, could any body has this car have a go for me, please?

Many thanks!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover L405 SDV8 Autobiography
5,165 Posts
Those are the parts that I couldn't answer I'm sorry to say :(

Anyone else?

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
There is a lever behind the plastic cover of the headlamp unit which can be flicked up or down for left or right drive. There is another quite recent thread on doing that on the forum, just have a quick search.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply!

I have been to the link Troy posted, and know that, it is possible to switch RHD to LHD. But not sure about the effectiveness of this. Can it be permanently use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I own two Mini R56 Xenon headlights and am trying to install them on my Mini One (58 plate). Although the indicators work perfectly fine, the Xenon bulbs will not turn on at all for the dipped or full beam. The picture attached shows a plug which I do NOT have a connector for, which could be why the Xenons will not turn on.
image.jpg
Any solutions? Many thanks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts