MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the new MINI accessories catalogue, heated seats are listed as a retrofit option, for £100 plus fitting. Has anyone had this fitted? It seems like a good idea these days, and if fitting wasn't too much I may consider it. I'm just wondering if anyone has had it done, what was the total cost, and do they operate exactly like factory fit?

·
Registered
375 Posts
brassd said:
In the new MINI accessories catalogue, heated seats are listed as a retrofit option, for £100 plus fitting. Has anyone had this fitted? It seems like a good idea these days, and if fitting wasn't too much I may consider it. I'm just wondering if anyone has had it done, what was the total cost, and do they operate exactly like factory fit?
I'd be very interested in this as well. Does the accessories catalog provide a part number for the retrofit kit? If not, would anyone else know what the part number is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The part number is;

61 11 0 145 996

The price is £100, and is for front driver and passenger. There is a note which says "Only in conjuction with new seat/backrest covers from 12/01"

If you get a quote, can you post back here? I should of asked when I was at my dealers today !

·
Registered
375 Posts
brassd said:
The part number is;

61 11 0 145 996
Cool! Thanks...

brassd said:
The price is £100, and is for front driver and passenger. There is a note which says "Only in conjuction with new seat/backrest covers from 12/01"
Hmm... I suppose this means that the original seat covers have to be removed and new ones installed when installing the heaters. That's kind of a bummer. It would be nice if we could locate a PDF containing the retrofit instructions so that we can see exactly what's involved. Replacing the seat covers would probably be an expensive and labor intensive task.

brassd said:
If you get a quote, can you post back here? I should of asked when I was at my dealers today !
Unfortunately, I'm over in the U.S., and so as for most of the really cool MINI retrofit options (like the rear-view camera, Digital POWER Sound Module, etc., etc.), I'm betting that the retrofit kit isn't even available here. If I want it, I'll have to have it imported and then install it for myself most likely. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the info...

·
Looking good in MOC
141 Posts
As i was quite interested as this i got straight on to my mate @ Holland Park BMW.

He says to fit them takes about 3.5 hours and there price for labour is a whoping £90 per hour. I'm sure that my local dealer in luton would be cheaper than this put it gives me a rough idea of the cost.

·
Registered
375 Posts
All,

I've got some bad news...

I just received a copy of the official installation instructions for the heated seats retrofit kit and it turns out that the kit itself only contains the new switch and the wiring harnesses required to hook up the heated seats. However, according to the installation instructions, you still need to purchase (separately) new back and bottom seat covers for both the driver's and passenger's seat that contain the integrated seat heating system in them.

Thus, the cost of installing the heated seats will probably be way too expensive once you buy the retrofit kit, the new seat covers, and then pay to have them installed.

Too bad as I really would have liked to of had them. :(

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
I did think that £100 was too cheap for an aftermarket fit I have it in mine but I ordered it when I purchased the car :)
Its well worth it in Winter :)

·
Looking good in MOC
141 Posts
It is 3.5 hours for both seats, doesn't really matter any more though. What with the above post saying you have to have new back and seat covers.

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
P_Diddy said:
what do ypu mean seat covers, back and bottom????

so bassicly it ownt cost 400 pount to get heated seats then?

bad boy ent 2004
Anyone Translate?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
375 Posts
P_Diddy said:
what do ypu mean seat covers, back and bottom????

so bassicly it ownt cost 400 pount to get heated seats then?
It costs a LOT more than that! I just spoke to my parts guy about it and here's what I found out:

BTW, all MINI seats are made up of a medal frame with foam padding and then the seat covers go over that (beit cloth, leather, or leatherette). Thus, the "seat covers" I'm refering to are just the pieces of material that slip over the metal frame and the foam in order to make the seat into what you actually see (and sit on). Each seat is made up of a bottom seat cover and a top/backrest seat cover, and apparently, the heating elements for the heated seats are stiched into these seat covers (and so that's why they need to be replaced). Thus, you'll need a total of four new seat covers (with the heating elements stiched into them) in order to retrofit the heated seats (plus the retrofit kit containing the switch and wiring harnesses). Two covers for each seat (since there is a heating element in the bottom of each seat as well as in the top/backrest part of the seat).

I only know the price in U.S. dollars (which you can convert to pounds and add VAT), but the seat covers (for the leatherette seats as those are what I have) are a whopping $275 EACH. Since you need four total (as I mentioned above), it will cost you $1,100 for just the seat covers. You then still need to pay the $150 for the retrofit kit and pay an upolstry shop for the labor involved in changing the seat covers for you. Thus, in order to get the seat heaters retrofitted, it will problably cost you close to $2,000! Ouch! :eek:

It looks like the $270 MINI is charging to install the heated seats at the factory is a real bargin!

·
Registered
6 Posts
brassd said:
Could it be possible that after 12/01 all of the covers had the heating elements integrated (ultimately cheaper to manufacture perhaps) and it is only necessary to add the switches and wiring? If not, the 100 pounds plus fitment quoted in the catalog is awfully misleading!

·
Registered
375 Posts
SrBlanco said:
Could it be possible that after 12/01 all of the covers had the heating elements integrated (ultimately cheaper to manufacture perhaps) and it is only necessary to add the switches and wiring? If not, the 100 pounds plus fitment quoted in the catalog is awfully misleading!
I don't think so as my dealer told me that the seat covers had to be replaced (as do the retrofit instructions that I received from MINI). One easy way to tell is to simply look under the front seats in your car. If you have the heating elements included with your seats, then there should be a plug towards the front of the seats that's not being used (i.e. the place where the heating elements would plug into the switch panel harness). Since the retrofit kit is only 100 pounds (I was quoted $146 U.S.), it's unlikely that the seats will contain the heating elements in them from the factory. Otherwise, it would be much cheaper to just buy the retrofit kit after the fact and hook them up yourself. Since the factory heated seats are $270 U.S. (or $300 U.S. if you buy the CWP), I'd asume that the price difference includes the heating elements that are stiched into the seat covers.

·
Registered
375 Posts
brassd said:
Just had a quote from Radford MINI in Stafford. £100 parts and £220 fitting. Seems quite reasonable.
I'd jump all over that if it holds true. However, I bet that once you take your car in for the retrofit, the dealer will inform you that you also need to purchase new seat covers that contain the heating elements in them, and that will increase the price big time (near £1,000 I would imagine).

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
the retrofit IS only if you have the trim replaced aswell. You cannot do just heated on its own, otherwise this would be cheaper than the factory option minus the labour, so everyone would be fitting them at home.

Basically the cost of £100 is added to the cost of the retrim, as while the covers are off the foam is replaced which is where the heating elements are, which is also why the seats can be upgraded to Sports seats at the same time.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yep, the parts catalogue quite clearly points you in the direction of section 52 (which is seats) from the original retrofit kit part number, along with the previously mentioned note 'only in conjunction with new seat/backrest covers' . A retrofit kit normally includes all the parts needed to do the job, but in this instance that is impossible due to the number of different seat trims there are available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts