MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Cooper's rev counter I've noticed that not all of the lights in the redline zone are lit. They are only lit up between 6800 revs and the max. When I looked in the gallery to see if this was out of the ordinary I see that the redline extends all the way up to 5500.:confused:

Which is correct?
or are they both correct? Does the MINI work out where the redline should extend to or am I crediting it with too much intelligence?:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Cooper is the same.
Is it possible that the rev counter on the ONE is different, and maybe that is what the photo is of, a ONE not a Cooper?
Just a thought, don't know for sure.
:)

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
My Cooper is the same, I assumed that the earlier lines were for the One aswell.

Perhaps someone with a One can clarify this for us?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My December built 'one red line is 6800rpm.

Maybe when the car gets older it will change???

·
Registered
546 Posts
One Speedo Red Line Same as Cooper

Swil said:
Maybe when the car gets older it will change???
By design... or due to an ECU fault? :confused:

By the way, the tacho on my One is lit only at the top end too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When i test drove the cooper I asked if the lights would change BMW M3 style as the car got run in/warmed up and he said no.

is it a one versus cooper thing I cant answer. I cant even remember if mine are all alight or not.

have to look on the way home.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Could be a pre-production test car rev limit. I saw a sticker on the dash of a pre-production "S" in July last year (a guy at my local Canons health club must work for BMW/MINI. There was an all black, de-badged MINI with the bonnet scoops etc in the corner of the car park)saying "Do not rev over 6000 RPM".

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have 2 possible answers - choose the one you believe!

Answer no. 1
My MX-5 has something similar (I think) It's got dashed redlines up to a point then solid red after that - maybe its just a bit to say approaching the really red line!:p

Answer no. 2
I don't have a clue!:D :D :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Answer!

MINI ONE and COOPER both red line at 6500rpm or what ever it is, so there are less red lights than on the picture above. The auto has all the lights on (as per pic above), it is easier 2 blow up an auto, me thinks.

As far as the light go though, thats why there are two different variations.

Mark
:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Both dealers I have spoken to told me that the red line changes according to a number of factors, including the current total mileage on the engine, condition of the oil (presumably based on time to next service) and most importantly current engine temperature.

I might be imagining it, but I thought that on the first test-drive I took the red line changed from being quite low RPM at the start rising by about 1,000 RPM at the end, once the engine was fully warmed up.

Note that the red line is there for a reason, over and above the rev limiter that should be built into the car's engine management software. Wear and tear on an engine is negligible once run in and warmed up until you start getting slose to the red line. I'd avoid running an engine for prolonged periods beyond 1,000 RPM from the red line, and never redline it for more than a fraction of a second - it's time to change gear.

Of course I break this rule on a daily basis with my Mini Cooper, but then the engine's been rebuilt to a specification where I know the bottom end can handle more than the 6,000 RPM it gets pushed to - everything balanced and uprated. No point in going over 6,000 RPM as the head's not capable of giving me any more power at higher revs. I deal with the wear and tear issue by changing oil every 3-4,000 (Rover recommends 12,000? For an A-series?? You must be joking), and the car gets retired this summer anyway. There is a downside (other than the cost to have the engine completely rebuilt) - at high revs, the oil pressure is enough to spray out of any weak or failing seal. Will I treat the new one like that? No chance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Great pic Jason! What's the yellow light for? Does each round yellow light come on as the tach swings around?

·
Registered
808 Posts
S2000&CooperS said:
What's the yellow light for? Does each round yellow light come on as the tach swings around?
The yellow light was on to indicate that I had switched off the ASC program. I was pretty much playing with every switch and button in the car. ;-)

Jason

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
Pardon me for answering a question in an old thread - I don't know if the answer has been posted elsewhere.

MINIs equipped with the CVT transmission redline at 5500rpm. In CVT MINIs, the extra red lights are illuminated to reflect the lower redline of 5500rpm. MINIs with manual gearboxes redline at 6750rpm.

It appears one tachograph is made to cover both auto and manual boxes. The redline is static - it won't change if the engine is cold/warm, nor if the engine is new/old, nary if the oil is new/used.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I can also confirm what Bad Manners says. I have had a manual Cooper from new and the RPM lights have never changed.

Once my dealer gave me a CVT Cooper and this uses all of the lights. I must say, BTW it was the worst gearbox ever. Nothing like as smooth as I thught it would be. Even worse driving it hard.

I think BMW missed a trick with these light cos it would be nice to limit the Revs more while the card is cold and open them up once warm. The lights are perfect for this! Just what the S2000 does I think?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some old Merc's used to have a revolving rev needle so that the closer you got to the revline the needle would turn from it's green side, through yellow and eventually turn red. I think that's a pretty good way of doing it without particularly concentrating on it either. It wouldn't be hard to do these days either.

MitchyBoy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts