MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a review of the Alpine interface..."When used with a compatible Alpine head unit, Alpine's new $100 KCA-420i iPod Interface connection kit lets you play and control your iPod through your car stereo. Unlike BMW's popular iPod kit -- which limits access to five playlists you specifically create for the system and limits navigation to skipping tracks forward and back -- Alpine's solution lets you access all of your playlists and, via its onscreen display, search for songs, albums, and artists. (And the Alpine offering can be used in any car, not just a BMW.) After evaluating the KCA-420i for a month in my Honda CR-V test vehicle, I appreciated its features, innovation, and sound quality, but at times found myself frustrated by its interface."

Sounds better already! But, there are some issues...the review is here:

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2004/09/alpineipod/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-0904

· MINI2 lurker
641 Posts
Funnily enough a friend pointed this review out to me when I told him about me getting it.

The information I got was from the Southern area manager for the aftersales department in alpine electronics uk, he mailed me what he could at the time to show the 9812 would work.

I posted a thread for search purposes and my findings, you can see that here http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72109 . I havent got the 9815 listed on this but you can use Atsu's contact information that I have provided to contact him. He had other information which he couldnt send me as it had confidential written all over it !

Any idea on the best place to put this box mike ?
Im thinking the drivers side panel (the one you ply off after opening the door).

Installation seems to be a snap too as it seems the power source for the unit will come through the ainet connection.

· MINI2 lurker
641 Posts
Sprydle said:
I've searched for this but no luck so far - if I replace my headunit with one that's compatible with this interface, will my bluetooth phone kit still work?

Cheers,
Sprydle
Give some more details as to which bluetooth system you have and you will be told what you need ;)

The standard mini headunit has nothing to do with phone systems, the bluetooth kit will interface with the mini headunit, and either interrupt the stereo and play through a separate speaker or through the front speakers. Both of which can be achieved if you were to put a new headunit in.

· Registered
65 Posts
Well spotted on the review.
It does beg the question as to whether we should all wait until Alpine upgrade their 2005 HU's to mimic the slick functionality of the iPod itself.
I was 95% sure that I'd upgrade to an Alpine 9835 HU and invest in the iPod interface (my MINI is on order with WAVE to save cash and allow for this) ... I'll probably still do this, as the sound quality of the Alpine interface gets a rave review, and it actually powers your iPod (currently I use an iTrip, and it drains the battery).
I guess the only way to be sure is to try out the iPod interface before you buy.

· Big girl's blouse
4,779 Posts
Mini_Blake said:
Give some more details as to which bluetooth system you have and you will be told what you need ;)

The standard mini headunit has nothing to do with phone systems, the bluetooth kit will interface with the mini headunit, and either interrupt the stereo and play through a separate speaker or through the front speakers. Both of which can be achieved if you were to put a new headunit in.
I have the Bluetooth Kit installed by the dealer (I guess that's the Mini Bluetooth kit). It does interface with the headunit - and cuts out the stereo and displays the word "Phone" when I'm in a call.

So you are saying that I can still have that functionality with an Alpine head-unit and this interface? That would be like having my cake and eating it too! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.