MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What does the world use to try and breathe life back into tired black wheel arch trims?

Mine are looking a bit faded, with white patches (photo attached, hopefully)

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
I used to use car trim restorer, some cheap and others not so cheap, but now I use black shoe shine and that seems to work best for me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Before you do go over with boot polish, give them a good going over with a toothbrush and washing up detergent to get rid of any wax residue (that’s probably what the white bits are) give it a good rinse off and then let it dry, then anything you apply should cover better. Interesting,y on another forum I have heard people swear by peanut butter!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve just tried wd40 as it was recommended but first try seems a bit like the bumper restorer, looks good for a few days then pants again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi,

What does the world use to try and breathe life back into tired black wheel arch trims?

Mine are looking a bit faded, with white patches (photo attached, hopefully)

Thanks,

Steve
paint stripper heat gun by far best results makes the plastic re-oil itself with the heat like when it was made with heat and plastic injection moulding just keep gun moving and watch it get darker and darker with each pass the best bit they stay black for a long time,

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And if anyone doesn't believe @mike1967 attached is a photo of the faded grey-white wheel arch with half of it heat-treated and the other half not.

I was so impressed that I ended up doing our R52 as well, which whilst it wasn't as bad as the R53 it came up really well too - I hadn't realised the R52 trim was faded until bringing it back to the lovely black that it now is.

I take it the same trick won't help bring the faded black wing-mirror surrounds back to black - the part surrounding the glass and the part attached to the door? It feels like a different, non-plastic, material to me. Photo also attached

Thanks as ever, Mike.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
And if anyone doesn't believe @mike1967 attached is a photo of the faded grey-white wheel arch with half of it heat-treated and the other half not.

I was so impressed that I ended up doing our R52 as well, which whilst it wasn't as bad as the R53 it came up really well too - I hadn't realised the R52 trim was faded until bringing it back to the lovely black that it now is.

I take it the same trick won't help bring the faded black wing-mirror surrounds back to black - the part surrounding the glass and the part attached to the door? It feels like a different, non-plastic, material to me. Photo also attached

Thanks as ever, Mike.

Steve
one word of warning and i did learn the hard way once anything glass needs to be covered before adding heat as glass will expand at one point this causes it to crack, i use a couple layers of masking tape and just go lightly on that area as such, the best bit it will stay black like the car did from new, works a treat dont it.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Thanks as ever, Mike.

Steve
I recently tried some CarPlan Original Black trim restorer as my wing mirrors were looking the same , 2 months later and they are still looking good ( will post some pics tomorrow if the weather is good enough to take some ) .
hope this helps .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recently tried some CarPlan Original Black trim restorer as my wing mirrors were looking the same , 2 months later and they are still looking good ( will post some pics tomorrow if the weather is good enough to take some ) .
hope this helps .
Thanks for that. So the CarPlan trim restorer you mention is suitable for what I presume is black metal around the wing mirrors? I'd assumed it only worked on plastics.

Steve

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Lol try some you will surprised 🙂
the heat gun trick works for me as do it once and takes years for the plastics to fade back again, there is two sides to all this ie new plastic that are not damaged by age and sun light and damaged old plastics that wont come back for very long by only putting a wet effect on them, normally takes a good 5 years or more for the black plastics to fade and go milky grey colours those are the ones that hot air gun have the best effect on and it lasts a few years then repeat it again,,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts