MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought a 2010 Mini One petrol...

When I accelerate the car revs a lot but doesn't really move a lot? Like there's too many revs for the amount its moving if that makes any sense? Its mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear and its a bit embarrassing because it sounds like I'm a new driver giving it too many revs but I'm not.

Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try going up an hill put it into 5th and put your foot down. Do the revs go up and car doesn't speed up, if so probably clutch related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say 'hill' how steep are we talking? Not many hills around here.

I took it on the motorway today and it was very noticeable going from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.

What it does remind me of is when you drive an automatic car and you put your foot down and the car revs but it takes a moment for any power to kick in?

I noticed it keeps revving after I've done the gear change a lot too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I've driven it on the motorway and for a longer distance... Even when I'm in gear, say going along a bypass or motorway at 50mph or whatever, I will put my foot down to overtake and the car just makes a reving noise and doesn't move, then eventually it might kick it and I get some power. So it's not limited to just when changing gear it's when it's actually IN gear too.

I've only just bought the car so I've read the dealer has an opportunity to repair under consumer rights act 2015.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Put it in to 3 rd gear,handbrake on, release clutch pedal, if it does not stall, then definitely,clutch friction plate is worn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's still under warranty so it's going back to the garage to get checked, will update!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok the garage say to remedy it they need to replace the clutch. Should anything else be done at the same time? Someone said about the oil seal or something...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts