MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Has anyone had this modification done, or have any opinions about it. They claim its invisible and doesn't affect TLC/warranty/insurance. The say it puts out 195bhp which is not bad at all. Also they claim that fuel efficiency doesn't take a big hit, like it may do in say the JCW car. Is this all too good to be true for £550?????? :confused:

Another bonus for me is that I can get this modification done 7 miles from my house, so don't need to drive far off to BBR or GGR. I admit, it would be cool to have 220 bhp to completely annihilate a Civic Type R, but 195 with the advantage of being cheap and invisible sounds pretty attractive to me. Somebody please set me straight, is this the real deal, or another slim shady????

Cooky

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check the MTH thread out. But I would still like anyone who has got this ECU upgrade on their car to just say if its any good, has performance noticably improved, has the MPG changed significantly, is it invisible to detection etc.,

Cheers..

Cooky

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed the Local company who does the upgrade and they said the following,

Thank you for your enquiry, the performance software will not increase the amount of fuel consumed by your car. Only the way you drive the vehicle will achieve that. After driving the car once the software was uploaded I noticed a big difference in smoothness and tractability especially at the bottom end and mid range. I could not quote 0-60 exactly but there was a definite increase in performance a and enjoyibility :). I have done two upgrades so far on this vehicle type and as yet, I have had no problems. If you have any further questions please do no hesitate to contact me.

Regards

I have looked at the other threads and can't see comments by anyone who has had the ECU upgrade done to the car. If anyone has had it done, please could you tell me on this thread what changes to performance and economy are like and if there have been any problems. Thanks.

Cooky

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
real deal it is then - on a chipped One, fuel consumption improves (after u get over the initial thrill period of blatting over 4000 rpm all the time ... :bad:) :}

·
Registered
141 Posts
Why do you say it's bogus? What are your reasons for making such a statement? Have you purchased the product and measured the power?

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
chiptuning said:
Why do you say it's bogus? What are your reasons for making such a statement? Have you purchased the product and measured the power?
I'd say this person claims it is bogus, because like me, has seen absolutly no evidence to prove otherwise...

I dont understand how a company that lists core business as modification of cars can survive without proving the power claims that it says...

195hp out of a stock Cooper S sounds very far fetched to me... if someone can prove otherwise, I am more than happy to eat my words...

A post saying "No, my chip tuner claims it does make 195hp!" Is not proof at all...

A dyno sheet from an idependant source is evidence.

Todd

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd say this person claims it is bogus, because like me, has seen absolutly no evidence to prove otherwise...
You've clearly not looked very hard.

I dont understand how a company that lists core business as modification of cars can survive without proving the power claims that it says...
The reason why it's survived is because it DOES prove them!!!

195hp out of a stock Cooper S sounds very far fetched to me... if someone can prove otherwise, I am more than happy to eat my words...
I hope you are hungry.

·
Proud MINI2 Sponsor
368 Posts
Yeah, I have heard of a 30-35 WHP increase from the Superchips upgrade WITH a pulley upgrade on the MCS, but I know there is a lot more room to grow on some model cars.
Heck, even the same models will have some variation, perhaps someone's car was actually running below factory spec and this improved and "fixed" some stock problems as well.
Dyno testing the same car in (as close to) the same conditions before and after the upgrade is the way to tell.
I'm off to check that other thread now...
Maybe an ECU upgrade is in my future!

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
I have just read the thread that MINIAC posted above... all of it.

An apology is in order.

I had not read anything of this product before and like many of the other people on that thread had said "It sounded too good to be true"

Are there any customers out there with the product who can chime in here with their opinion on the product?

I know you have stated in the past that your customers are too busy to be on online forums, but possibly there are a few now?

Best of luck with chiptuning in the future...

Todd

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
chiptuning said:
You've clearly not looked very hard.

The reason why it's survived is because it DOES prove them!!!

I hope you are hungry.
You're way too defensive buddy.
Dont take it personally when someone scrutinises. The fact is that there will never be an ECU upgrade that will reach 195hp (with a usable engine). As to thinking that this would improve fuel effieiency is a joke.
If this company can provide several independent dyno sheets with an average output, please do show but as for what the supplier says....well, take it with a pinch of salt.
If this is MTH software, then I can guarantee that it is not 195hp and that it IS too much money!
Try not to be too defensive of something you have'nt tried, just because their local, does NOT mean that they are passing on FACT.
If you've ever done performance mods on your S then you would know that its BS!
WHERE IS THIS PROOF???? I DID'NT SEE IT.
If you dont want feedback, dont post the bloody thread!

Just had a look through the MINIAC post.
All I can say is what a crock of ****. They must be the most optimistic dyno charts on earth! Not at all independent. MORE EVIDENCE NEEDED + why has nobody publicised this miracle upgrade??

+ just realised youre getting defensive because youre trying to sell it :eek: :D :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
The reason I said it was bogus is because of all the other chip tuning that is available and the independent dynos that have been performed on them from the hundreds of people who have posted them, the best that has ever been seen is around 10hp at the wheels. This doesn't even come close to the 35 bhp claimed above. Even if you take all the stops out of the tuning mechanism and tune it for 100% performance with no safety limits, you won't get this far. The car is just not capable of it. Too many independent dynos and numbers, and customer's comments prove otherwise. Not a single one has ever shown near this number. I highly doubt that this company found some secret and tuned the car magically 300% better than anyone else.

What you often find is that companies calculate at the crank as well and sometimes use bogus multipication factors such as 20-25% driveline loss, whereas in reality the loss is more in the 11%-14% range (agains as proven by countless dynos provided by customers). If two people show me dynos from two different independent dyno sources showing an increase of 30hp at the wheels, I will eat my words. Not calculated numbers but real at the wheel numbers.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
chiptuning said:
What's your definition of an independent source?
Well... I put one car on a dyno, that had a 15% pulley and AmD oneclick, and another car that was stock and had an MTH map. Same dyno, one after the other.

The car with the 15% pulley and oneclick and no other mods showed 110kW at the wheels

The car with the MTH map and no other mods showed 90kW at the wheels. The a/f ratio was certainly better than stock, so the chip did do something...

but 195bhp with a chip and no other mods?? Come on... A car with a 15% pulley and oneclick would be lucky to have 195bhp at the flywheel

·
Registered
141 Posts
OK guys, by all means you are fully entitled to be sceptical. But it makes no difference. Some people won't accept any dyno chart unless they've actually seen it for themselves. It's been proved, and can be proved at any time you like. And it sells. A mini adventure!! The end!!!

Reason why most customers don't post here is that most come from the Go Mini mag and not from the forum.

Adam.

ps. dgszweda I will get 2 independet sourced dyno charts before and after as soon as I can, and post them. I understand your sceptisim, but I also think that you are somehow open minded and if things can be proved, you will be converted!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Haha ! :D

I love all these experts and their Dyno sheets.
Seriously now, just chiptuning does not give you 195 bhp.
We all know this, come on.

No one has proven it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts