MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone,

Test drove another cooper on Saturday (Yellow/White combo) with Sports Suspension + and the 17" Alloy option in an attempt to descide on handling and ride quality on UK B roads.

Quite a hard ride compaired to my 306 GTI-6, but comparable with wifes 206 CC.

Obviously the 16" alloys will soften the ride a little, but anyone tried them back to back with 17". I love the look of the 17's but if they end up being to hard for the B road it will spoil the enjoyment.

What thoughts about 16" or 17" for the UK and mainly country / B roads which are main drive. :confused: :confused: :confused:

As for colour, I think I am there, BLACK!!!!, White roof, Wings and WHEELS!!!!!! No Sun roof.:D :D :D :D

and,

Wait for it,

Maybe even the Black and White Checkers on the roof :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
300 Posts
An excellent Q:

I too am wondering this, as I cannot decide on which wheels to get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheels

I might try to test them back to back next weekend.

I'll give my dealer a call and see if they have two coopers, one with 16's and one the 17's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My tuppence

Now, although I can't comment specifically on the MINI, I do have experience of such comparisons on other cars...so here goes.

On balance I'll not be choosing the 17" wheels for my S. I hesitate only because they look so much better than the 16" ones. However, in all other respects I believe they'll be inferior to the smaller rims. IMHO they'll push the ride firmness into unacceptable bum-numbing territory. I test drove a Cooper with 16" and plain SS and that was comparable to my rock-hard Prelude - I don't think I could take anything harder:D

I'm not persuaded that the larger wheels will improve the drive either. One of the maxims of the great LJK Setright is that "what is good for the ride is good for the handling". I have never found this to be wrong. Lower profile tyres can compromise the handling too much. Sure, there's more grip in good, dry conditions but the reactions of the tyre at the limit will be snappier and less progressive than a higher profile tyre. Also don't forget that in the wet or on greasy tarmac the wider footprint means less less pressure and less overall grip. Fun perhaps - if you like that sort of thing, or if you think that a flashing ASC+T light makes for a club-like atmos in the car :)

All this for more initial cost and higher replacement prices too.

So, like I said, great to look at but...no thanks.

Albi

·
Registered
573 Posts
I am going to wait until I have test driven both of the Dealer's test drive Cooper S's

The DS should have 17"s
The EB should have 16"s

I will make my mind up then

Andy

·
Registered
343 Posts
I paid a visit to my Local dealer in Kingston on Friday, and this is one of the questions I had. I couldn't make up my mind over the 16 or 17's.

He said that he actually found the 17's more comfortable than the 16's.

I'll still test them back to back, but will probably go for the 17's

Michael

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
MichaelK said:
I paid a visit to my Local dealer in Kingston on Friday ... He said that he actually found the 17's more comfortable than the 16's.
... and thought that their sale would contribute more to his bottom line ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
My first cooper (replaced due to opening windows problem) was a chilli spec with 16" alloys, when ordering my replacement i opted for 17". After expierience of both wheels i would say the 16" provide the best ride / roadholding combination, the 17" are also prone to chipping from potholes.Having said all that i will be ordering 17" for my cooper s purely for the looks!! at the end of the day would you put up with a firmer ride for those gorgeous wheels ??????

·
Registered
783 Posts
Testing back-to-back would be apples and oranges. The 16" wheel/tire package on the S has all-weather tires. I want an S with the Cooper's optional 16" wheel/tire package, with the performance rubber. Clearly, comparing the all-weather 16's with the hi-perf 17's isn't "fair".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another point to consider is that the 17" wheels are 7lbs heavier the the x spoke standard wheel. This will probably stop me from getting the sports package. I am not that entralled by the 17" s-spoke wheels. Good thing there are aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you wait that long?

An_S_4_Me

I notice that you are No.3 on your dealers list,

R U realy prepared to wait until the dealer has them on the road to confirm your order, and test drive them with every other tom, d*ck and harry?

In my experience, when a car is physically available at dealerships the waiting list goes out even longer on desirable cars. We ordered the 206CC and had it delivered within a week or so of it being available on the market. Within that week of its arrival delivery had gone out to 4 or 5 months. (BTW the roof works brilliantly and always has!)

Belive me, Lots and lots of people will be waiting to drive it before they order it and that first month or so is going to be mad at the dealers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Testing back-to-back would be apples and oranges. The 16" wheel/tire package on the S has all-weather tires. I want an S with the Cooper's optional 16" wheel/tire package, with the performance rubber. Clearly, comparing the all-weather 16's with the hi-perf 17's isn't "fair".
Does anyone know if this is true for ALL Cooper S's worldwide or is it going to be country specific?:confused:

·
Registered
573 Posts
supercooper,

Yes, I was worried about this, However, I am not as worried about the wheel choice, as the colour, I sent a letter to my dealer along the following lines,

"I received a letter from you today with the Cooper S brochure, which states that the test cars will be arriving late May, with the first cars being delivered early June, I dont want to order a car with a colour that I have never seen in the Flesh (Dark Silver) or indeed full leather seats that I have never bum tested"

My reply from the dealer was basically, that I would have time between seeing the test cars and changing the spec accordingly for colour and wheel options etc.

I assume that as I am third on the list, I will get a car on launch day, so I will be amongst the first invited to test drive the car.

Andy

·
Registered
187 Posts
thanx ya'll

helped me decide to go with the 16" wheels - now, off to decide on leather or cloth...

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:
supercooper,

Yes, I was worried about this, However, I am not as worried about the wheel choice, as the colour, I sent a letter to my dealer along the following lines,

"I received a letter from you today with the Cooper S brochure, which states that the test cars will be arriving late May, with the first cars being delivered early June, I dont want to order a car with a colour that I have never seen in the Flesh (Dark Silver) or indeed full leather seats that I have never bum tested"

My reply from the dealer was basically, that I would have time between seeing the test cars and changing the spec accordingly for colour and wheel options etc.

I assume that as I am third on the list, I will get a car on launch day, so I will be amongst the first invited to test drive the car.

Andy
Cool, because I am also third on the list for an S at my dealership. I am not sure to go with the colour of my Cooper which is BRG/White which I love and can't fault or the Dark Grey, just for the sake of going for a new colour. Would want to see it first.

LMB:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Guys,

Like most of you I like the 17" wheels but I am concerned that with sports ride they may be too hard for English B roads. I heard that you may be able to specify an S without sports suspension, anyone care to comment.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Watty said:
Guys,

Like most of you I like the 17" wheels but I am concerned that with sports ride they may be too hard for English B roads. I heard that you may be able to specify an S without sports suspension, anyone care to comment.
Watty,

I tried getting a Chilli Cooper without the spoiler but it was not an option, so I doubt they would allow you to have SS in place of SSP. It seems they are quite happy for you to add what you want, but not the other way round:rolleyes:

Watty I have the S Spokes on my Cooper as well as SSP, and the ride is firm, but not too firm. So don't worry you'll love it:p

LMB;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
17" Wheels are a goer...

Folks

I have had the 17" wheels since they first came out. They look great and drive great!

I was worried about the ride being too firm but after a couple of months I think it is just right. I don't think it is much firmer than the 16" wheels.

The weather in Bristol has been %$£"!$" over winter and rained every day. Despite pushing the car to the limit I still have not been able to get the wheels spin in the wet. Maybe my ASC light doesn't work!

IMHO, I think that the wheels are just as practical as the 16" wheels and if you like them get them. If you are worried about the road conditions and potholes stay with 15" wheels and the standard tyres.

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many thanks, LMB.

So thats the wheels sorted just the colour to worry about. Decided on black since it will have sun roof but is it Red, EB or Silver???

Still got a few months to ponder and three model cars to paint.
:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wheelie good idea!

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.

I am errrrring back to the 17"'s again now as they are the sexist factory fit wheels I seen for a long time.

Will try out 16's vrs 17's at the dealers, even if it just an excuse to drive them again;) ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts