MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have experience with the ride of an MC with and without the 16" runflats that come in the sport package (US)?

We're interested in specing the sport package, but don't like the harsh ride of the MCS -- and don't want or need the frenetic, only-at-high-rev available horsepower.

We've driven a stock MC and love it... worry about what the 16" runflats would do to the ride... thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a '04 Mini Cooper CVT with the Sport package and 16" Goodyear NCT5 runflats. The ride, while stiff (in my opinion all Minis have a stiff ride) is not uncomfortable. The car has 8,000 miles on it and the suspension seems to have softened up since new and it rides more comfortably than when new. I wouldn't be deterred from buying the Sport package.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have any experience with the MC without run flats, but I do have the sports pkg. and 16" run flats, and the ride is fantastic. I do not find it the least bit harsh.
I'd definitely get the sports pack with the run flats if doing it again

·
Registered
357 Posts
I ended up ordering everything in ths sport package except the 16" wheels and runflats. Difference was only going to be $200 (a bargain for 16" wheels with runflats) so I took both models out and opted for the standard 15" non runflat tires. As was stated earlier the ride in ALL Mini's leans towards the harsh end of the spectrum but the runflats accentuate that trait greatly IMHO.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I've driven MCs with both 15" non-runflats and 16" runflats and while the non-runflats are a little softer the difference is subtle. I don't think you'll be disappointed. My own MINI rides 16" runflats (two sets, summers and winters).

Harry

·
MINI2 Sr.
514 Posts
Yep, I've had both. I had the stock runflats when I got my MC and kept them for 19,000 miles. My fronts were pretty much bald, my rears had about 75% left, but I decided to toss them in favor of some Yokohama AVSES100's. The ride improved, but it wasn't cushy. I've got the Sport Suspension and I expected non runflats to be a lot smoother--based on what I had read. You still feel all the bumps and jitters in the road. I like to make the analogy of the Teeth on a Saw Blade. Runflats are with the blade brand new---sharp and rigid. Now dull the blade so the teeth are rounded. That's what non runflats do. It smooths things out, but you still feel everything.

To get the ride smoother, I'm considering replacing my springs with something that's progressive. A lot of people like the M7 springs since they both lower and smoothen out the ride.

I now have 7,000 miles (I'm at 26,000 miles now) on my Yoko's. I suffered for the first 3,000 to 4,000 miles with severe cases of tramlining. I don't feel it anymore, and not sure if I just got used to it, or they just got worn in! :D

Do you even have the option of not getting runflats???

pcm84 said:
Does anyone here have experience with the ride of an MC with and without the 16" runflats that come in the sport package (US)?

We're interested in specing the sport package, but don't like the harsh ride of the MCS -- and don't want or need the frenetic, only-at-high-rev available horsepower.

We've driven a stock MC and love it... worry about what the 16" runflats would do to the ride... thanks.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
OctaneGuy said:
Yep, I've had both. I had the stock runflats when I got my MC and kept them for 19,000 miles. My fronts were pretty much bald, my rears had about 75% left, but I decided to toss them in favor of some Yokohama AVSES100's. The ride improved, but it wasn't cushy. I've got the Sport Suspension and I expected non runflats to be a lot smoother--based on what I had read. You still feel all the bumps and jitters in the road. I like to make the analogy of the Teeth on a Saw Blade. Runflats are with the blade brand new---sharp and rigid. Now dull the blade so the teeth are rounded. That's what non runflats do. It smooths things out, but you still feel everything.

To get the ride smoother, I'm considering replacing my springs with something that's progressive. A lot of people like the M7 springs since they both lower and smoothen out the ride.

I now have 7,000 miles (I'm at 26,000 miles now) on my Yoko's. I suffered for the first 3,000 to 4,000 miles with severe cases of tramlining. I don't feel it anymore, and not sure if I just got used to it, or they just got worn in! :D

Do you even have the option of not getting runflats???
Only on the 15s, I think. I know the 15's are not runflats.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm running the new 16" Fin alloys with SS+ and runflats, it's the nutz! such good road handling! The ride is a tad hard but not uncomfortable.

·
Registered
658 Posts
MHALEY57 said:
I don't have any experience with the MC without run flats, but I do have the sports pkg. and 16" run flats, and the ride is fantastic. I do not find it the least bit harsh.
I'd definitely get the sports pack with the run flats if doing it again
Many have posted their dissatisfaction with the ride and handling of the runflats. I have the 16" Dunlop runflats with sport suspension. While the ride comfort is very acceptable on seamless asphalt paved highways, it is quite bone-jarring when going over bad city streets and paving with expansion joints.

I definitely intend to change to either the Yoko AVS ES100 or AvonTech M500 when my tires need replacement in a few months time. I expect to get better handling and a more comfortable ride. We MC owners with the Sport Suspension are lucky in that we have the small spare tire. Bottom line: get the SS.

But, as someone else has written, all MINIs have a somewhat stiff suspension,regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts