MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fighting the Dark side
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have corrosion under the lacquer on the outer rim of my split rims.
I'm thinking about getting a rim polish done, does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm based in Luton BTW

Cheers

Mark :)

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
now then, without descending further into the innuendo stakes it is BGJ (minicabrio) you need - because he had his rims polished so he could advise you best :eek: He's in Hampshire so not too far for you to get them done either.

I'll point him this way ;)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
now then, without descending further into the innuendo stakes it is BGJ (minicabrio) you need - because he had his rims polished so he could advise you best :eek: He's in Hampshire so not too far for you to get them done either.

See I was being serious, whilst also waiting for the usual gutter talk from Jon;):p

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Ahh yes..... rim issues :p

When I purchased my R90s, I had significant bubbling around the rim area, so had them polished back to bare naked aluminium ;) Upside is, when they're polished, they look the muts nuts. Downside is once a week you need to get busy with the Autosol to buff your rim back to a perfect shine. Expect achey arms the first few times you do it ;)

You could have them re-lacquered after polishing to cut down on the amount of polishing needed - but they won't look as good, and will bubble again in the future.

You'll need to make sure you use a nice gentle rim cleaner (avoid Wonder Wheels like the plague) - i'd recommend using Meguires Hot Rims ;)

Any good alloy wheel refurbisher can polish your rims for you - expect to pay in the region of £50 a corner.

I don't think I've ever used the word rim so often in one post.....

Oh, and I would post a flickr link to show off my rims, but our new work server has blocked it :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
<-----------pulls up a chair and waits for minicabrio to come and post about rim polishing;)
Coor Jon = we had to wait a long time for your rim polishing advice.

I bet Rakey has fallen asleep during the wait :D:D

·
Registered
476 Posts

When I purchased my R90s, I had significant bubbling around the rim area, so had them polished back to bare naked aluminium ;) Upside is, when they're polished, they look the muts nuts. Downside is once a week you need to get busy with the Autosol to buff your rim back to a perfect shine. Expect achey arms the first few times you do it ;)

You could have them re-lacquered after polishing to cut down on the amount of polishing needed - but they won't look as good, and will bubble again in the future.

You'll need to make sure you use a nice gentle rim cleaner (avoid Wonder Wheels like the plague) - i'd recommend using Meguires Hot Rims ;)

Any good alloy wheel refurbisher can polish your rims for you - expect to pay in the region of £50 a corner.

Oh, and I would post a flickr link to show off my rims, but our new work server has blocked it :rolleyes:
"Bubbling around the rim area", isn't there another word for that?:D

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts

Good job it was all his wheels and not just one faulty one or you might have had to put he's had his rim polished a few times.:D

·
Fighting the Dark side
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I thought you were getting rid of the MINI Mark :eek: :p
OMG :aargh::eek: I wasn't expecting that kind of responce :eek: Silly me :p

Funnily enough it was the image of Jon’s shiny Rim that made me think of getting mine polished as he showed it to me at the first Herts meet!

Lol, not sure I should have said that.

Jo, afraid she will be up for sale very soon, I got the company car on Friday but the wheels are such a mess I thought I have to get them sorted first.

Yes, my rim is totally bubbled! :eek::aargh::eek:;):D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts