MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using one of these with their mini? I'd perfer not having to have wires and stuff installed as Im told it voids the radio warranty. Anyone tried the Roady 2 with the wireless connections?

Howard

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well

Lemme know if you get it. I might wait for it to go on sale. I had XM in my old car and after 2 days I already miss it. The guy at Best Buy was trying to get me to have them wire in the roady 2 but I don't wanna void the warranty

Howard

·
Registered
59 Posts
aux jack

Couldn't you install the aux jack and plug the roady2 into it? you wouldn't be able to control it from your mfsw but you would be able to listen via your cars speakers (i think)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't think that most after-market wiring like that would void the warranty, especially if it's something that can be removed later.

That being said, you might want to also wait just a bit for the SkyFi2 (Press Release). It has almost all the Roady2 features, including built in FM Transmitter, as well as a 30 minute buffer that allows you to pause and rewind XM channels (like TiVo). It requires a home or car kit, and also works with the Delphi Boombox. Crutchfield is estimating November 10th as the release date.

You could also look into the XM Direct route, and control the XM radio directly through the stereo.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm

I'm pretty sure I saw the Skyfi 2 at Best Buy yeserday, and the box didn't mention the wireless transmitter.

Howard

·
Registered
59 Posts
Skyfi2

The SkyFi2 does have the neat option to pause the radio but you still have to buy a car kit with it whereas the Roady2 comes w/the kit. Guess it is all where your price point is... I really wanted to the xmtuner to hook into my cd changer but can't spend that much $$ right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the SkyFi2 and vehicle kit Saturday and when I went to install it into my 05 MCS, my wife nixed the idea. I removed the cup holder and was fashioning a new mount to go there when she decided it wasn't going to happen, since she didn't like the way it looked.

Moral: Make sure all parties involved approve the mounting locvation before spending the money...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up the roady 2 today. Seems to work pretty well, not sure if I wanna mount it on the dash or use the vent. Anyone get this yet and do a good job of hiding the wires and can give some tips.

Howard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roady2 Install Pix

I tried and tried to get my Roady2 vent mounted and boy am I glad I was unsuccessful. I was about to give up when I saw a can of Minwax spray polyurethane on a shelf in my garage...the cap fit the cupholder perfectly (I'm sure a spray paint cap would work, too). After a bit of sanding to get the top of cap smooth, I stuck on the Roady2 sticky mount. With some velcro stuck only to the cap on three sides, I put the cap into the cupholder...worked like a charm.

You can see other pix of my install here:
http://www.wernerstudios.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album09

As a side note, I installed the antenna inside the back gate (see pic) and I'm getting good enuf reception...give it a try.

Mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm

How do you have that plugged in? With some cable going to the Aux Input? Hmm might have to pay to get an AUX input installed.

·
Registered
750 Posts
howardpm said:
How do you have that plugged in? With some cable going to the Aux Input? Hmm might have to pay to get an AUX input installed.
It's a very basic install, and with some bending around and skilled fingers you don't even have to remove the radio to get the AUX to hook to the radio.

The business end is also rather easy, 2 small holes for mount screws and on 3/8 inch hole for the plug to stick through.

I mounted the power source (12 volt outlet) and the Aux input in my euro shelf, great place to hide all the wires.

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
I've had the Roady for almost a year now and really like it. Having to pay for only one receiver that you can take to other cars or use in the house is great.

I'd like to know more about the SkiFi as the pause/rewind feature would be fantastic. Having that on my satellite TV receiver has really spoiled me and I've been looking for same in a radio for a while now.

What's the deal with the car kit? Does it not have a built in FM transmitter? If not the aftermarket units at Best Buy work fine and perhaps for less $$

Peter..XM Fan..in Denver

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok

So I did a pretty good job of hiding the antenna wire around and under the dash, I can't find a good location to mount the Roady that doesn't look to retarded. Any suggestions? Also I'm starting to dislike the wireless RF thing, every day I gotta switch to a different channel cause it seems to lose what it was doing. I might bite the bullet and go to tweeter and let them figure it out.

Howard

·
Registered
750 Posts
howardpm said:
So I did a pretty good job of hiding the antenna wire around and under the dash, I can't find a good location to mount the Roady that doesn't look to retarded. Any suggestions? Also I'm starting to dislike the wireless RF thing, every day I gotta switch to a different channel cause it seems to lose what it was doing. I might bite the bullet and go to tweeter and let them figure it out.

Howard
Yup, go with the aux input. I'd also give some thought to the Euro shelf , if you don't already have it. Great place to mount an additional power outlet and the aux jack.

Did yours come with the remote? If so you could hide it about anywhere. I've had the Roady for about a year now and after some trial and error decided that putting it up high was the way to go. I can reach the scroll knob without removing my hand from the wheel and the display is with in my field of vision.

Can't remember if I've posted these here or not, so I'll throw them up again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aux Input?

How does the AUX input work? Guess I gotta get the dealer to install one, looks like they charge 40 bucks. What connects to the roady 2 to the AUX input?

Howard

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
howardpm said:
How does the AUX input work? Guess I gotta get the dealer to install one, looks like they charge 40 bucks. What connects to the roady 2 to the AUX input?

Howard
Roady has a miniature jack output port that you connect to the aux. It's just like connecting a tuner to an amp in a home stereo system..only with smaller cable.

I must not use my Roady the same way as others...I'm not changing channels all the time..I don't see a need to have the head unit right in front of me.

Peter..in Denver

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmmm....I only have 2 sides to my cap - the top and bottom. Do you have any movement when you press buttons on your roady?

mui said:
I tried and tried to get my Roady2 vent mounted and boy am I glad I was unsuccessful. I was about to give up when I saw a can of Minwax spray polyurethane on a shelf in my garage...the cap fit the cupholder perfectly (I'm sure a spray paint cap would work, too). After a bit of sanding to get the top of cap smooth, I stuck on the Roady2 sticky mount. With some velcro stuck only to the cap on three sides, I put the cap into the cupholder...worked like a charm.

You can see other pix of my install here:
http://www.wernerstudios.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album09

As a side note, I installed the antenna inside the back gate (see pic) and I'm getting good enuf reception...give it a try.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
if you get the aux input installed, doesn't that go in the glove box? Can you plug in the radio somehow from behind then? I'm also trying to figure out how to install xm, and don't want to have to fiddle with the fm modulator all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts