MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a R56 Cooper S...

I’ve had an oil leak for a bit, eventually it has been diagnosed to have been a crack in the rocker cover near the turbo. I have heard from other owners that this is common, especially when modifying the car and that they have been through several of these covers.

Basically, I don’t want to keep having to buy new ones so I have looked into a turbo heat shield blanket ( the forge one to be specific)

Just wondering if anyone has one in use on their r56 and if it works at keeping the high temperature off the cover and from cracking.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
best by far way is to wrap the cat and all pipe work from turbo all way down to after the flexi joint this also prevents the exhaust cooking the oil as well,, wrap with heat shield cloth,, shiny for show black for go

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
this all helps cool things down especially when mapped, it also will force heat to stay inside the cat and make it work better,, or better still have cut out ie element only so looks factory then will pass a mot and all that heat will disappear even more so, ie nothing causing back pressure and heat build up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great stuff cheers I’ll make sure to purchase a couple of rolls, I’ll be getting a decat downpipe at some point so will just do it when that has been bought.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
if in uk and add a decat down pipe its mot failure, but if you cut cat open and remove the internals and weld a piece of pipe between the two ends are and weld back together none will be the wiser by time its been mapped to suit we do this all time, then can map them for pops and bangs,, and if want to really make them pop and bang its poss to alter the 02 sensors and bring close together this allows for all kinds giggles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll probably just get the decat done after MOT then it’s safe for a year lol, keep cat for when I’m selling... in distant future.

Definitely when I get the map, pops and bangs will be a must

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I’ll probably just get the decat done after MOT then it’s safe for a year lol, keep cat for when I’m selling... in distant future.

Definitely when I get the map, pops and bangs will be a must
i do a bit for a rolling road as in my signature we get all kinds in focus st with straight through exhaust pretty much with decat and then mapped for pops and bangs and flames out the back lol moving the 02 sensors closer together is another little trick allows better reactions within the map as such, we also remove the self check files for these add on's or removals so dont get eml and limp mode,, in middle of having a brand new rolling road fitted at mo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts