MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mouse has attacked our engine compartment, the little sod has bitten through several cables and ripped off bits of bonnet insulation. I have search this site and discovered the part number for the electronic rodent protection is 82 10 0 1 40 389 - £187.83 + vat

Has anyone else had/solved this problem? or had this part retrofitted by a dealer?

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Bad luck, Flipper!

Over here we can buy cans of deterrent that you sparay into the engine compartment. It's also good against Pine martens (honest). A neighbour of ours had their Chrysler Voyager burst into flames on the motorway, and the investigation balmed these varmints for the damage that resulted in the fire!

If the deterrent is available here, it might be in UK, but I never remmeber seeing it! If you get no luck, PM your details, and I'll find out the costs of shipping a couple of tins over......

Ian

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Exactly which cables are damaged is a worry, also mice breed every six weeks and we arw concerned that 'they will be back'

Joking aside I would be grateful for any other solutions and any feedback on the effectiveness of the mini electronic part

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
Get an S and it wont happen. Paul Mullet had a nesting mouse in his engine bay, the little blighter got sucked into the supercharger tensioner and shredded by the belt!!! no damage to MINI, 100% damage to mouse. theres a thread on it somewhere here!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mouse problems? Man, i learn more and more every day.

I can honestly say I have never, ever heard of this. It must be common if they make "Engine Compartment Mouse" Spray...
:)
*anathema*

·
Registered
4 Posts
My parents live in a rural part of San Diego County, right near some avocado and macadamia groves, so they've got a bit of a nesting rat problem! Most frequently, they'll just find bits of macadamia shells in the engine compartment... though their last car may have met its early demise at the hands/claws/teeth of some rats. I should tell them about the spray!

·
Because I Am !!??
240 Posts
I have seen quite a bit of damage caused by mice or rats to cars. I used to work as a tech at a rural BMW garage and it was almost a weekly occurance to have a vehicle brought in with some sort of vermin damage. I can remember doing an Inspection 1 service on a fairly new E36 3 Series and when I removed the microfilter to replace it, I found a nesting family of mice in it !! Nearly *****e me self !! They had chewed the filter up and made it in to some sort of bedding.

·
Ninja
1,750 Posts
Same thing happened to our M5 a couple years back, we found things like nuts, kitkats and the like under the front airdam...Little shits got it when Rentokil was invited around for a tea party.. :D

Surprisingly expensive to fix too, they munched away at the wiring for the Xenon headlights and the indicators...It's something that tends to happen during the winter months...didn't help the M5 is a garage queen (12k miles in nearly 5 years)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts