MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I decided on the Rogue Engineering CAI because of all the positive feedback it has received. My impression is that the RE CAI is number 2 only to the mighty Alta from everyone's perceptions! (Subjective sentence)

When I FIRST put on the RE CAI, it took me less than 15 minutes! Very very easy to install! Initial thoughts of my new addition were: 1) looks good! and 2) it looks somewhat "boxed" in, in its current position. Besides the small circular hole in the rear plastic partition and the tube from down below, I was thinking how much air can it get? Anyway, I fired the car up, you can hear a slight difference in the idle tone of the MINI. I went for a ride around the block, the sound of the supercharger was a little higher, the power increase was somewhat noticeable. But I got to thinking... "All the guys on the forum talk about this "whine" from the supercharger that is infectious! Where is my whine? I need more whine! (Good SNL clip, only replace whine with ‘cow bell’ – Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell).

So this started me on my crusade to find out more info! Where else do you find it, this great forum! After a short search, I spoke with ‘Onasled’ since he has just about every part on his car! Incredibly helpful individual! Led me to Webb's step by step removal of the rear plastic partition. By the way, Webb is ‘Da Man!’

I removed the RE CAI and started with Webb’s step by step instructions. When you first look over them, they are intimidating! But when you break them down into steps, it is really quite simple! But I have to admit, I was extremely nervous about digging into a $26k engine bay! :( Removed the base air box (bottom), then the ECU clamps etc etc, BOOM! The rear partition comes out! After this, it is about a 5 min job putting everything back together! Tightening everything down, double checking to make sure no parts/tool are left, I fire the MINI back up!

It starts! That’s good! But immediately I notice a deeper/meaner sound coming from my MINI. Anyone else hear this? It is pretty cool! I lower the bonnet, grab the wallet and it is now time to go for air for the tires, gas, whatever excuse I could think of to get out of the house! I eased the car out of the garage, put him in first and started to move. The idle/low rpm sound is still very different from stock in that it is deeper/meaner sounding. Finally get to a major road to open him up and BAM, HOLY COW! The whine of the supercharger! Sounds like the car is preparing for takeoff! Shortly after noticing the whine I realize that I am being pushed into the back of the seat. A little un-nerving, actually, I wasn’t sure what to expect! This thing gets up and goes! As I start to now break the posted speed limit, I find myself thinking, “Holy smokes! And I still have the Milltek and Dinan pulley to put on…” I thought it best to now slow down since it is 10 o'clock at night and every law enforcement officer can hear my supercharger whine from 10 miles away! (kidding, actually, it was closer to .5-1.0 mile away! it is quieter at night!)

After my joy ride, I came back home to back the MINI in the garage! I park him for the night and go into the house. Wife is in the kitchen, first question, “What did you do to that thing?” My reply, “Huh, what are you talking about dearest?” Her reply, “It sounds louder!” So I gave the, “I dunno…” and ran to the office where I am writing everyone now!

Needless to say, I went from impressed when I got the car (wasn’t sure what to expect with the 168bhp and new gears) to knowing the car and knowing what to expect to back to being a little nervous driving it! Just in my little cruise for air/gas, I was playing with the HK system when I stepped on it! Typically, I wait for the 3k rpm mark before the show starts…. Well, I now have front row seats because the car took off before 3k rpms and I was caught off guard playing with the radio. I can only imagine what the nearby drivers were thinking when I had to correct my current direction of the MINI…

So, in conclusion, after reading everything I could find in MINI2 and NAM, it appears that the RE CAI produces 9 bhp… I would lean towards the upper edge of the CAI hp increase scale! On the butt-meter, I would say 8-9 hp but who knows! This thing out does what I expected, and this CAI outperforms any intake that I had on any of my previous “modified” Honda Civic HBs and CRXs!

The kit in itself is well made and the gains are noticeable, but for the “full effect”, you need to remove that rear plastic partition! The curtain goes up and the show starts then….

Two thumbs up!

Two pics are in the gallery at the bottom! Enjoy!

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
onasled said:
Get a divorce before you buy the CAR!
Haha sounds like good advice....

Don't get married in the first place! :p

·
Registered
147 Posts
CooperSAZ : I found this for the semi-official install instructions for the Rogue Engineering CAI in MINI2.

http://www.mini2.com/reviews/review8.html

I spoke with ‘Onasled’ since he has just about every part on his car! Incredibly helpful individual! Led me to Webb's step by step removal of the rear plastic partition. By the way, Webb is ‘Da Man!’
Could you give us directions where to find these Webb insrtuctions.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Just did a little mod to my Rogue intake too, sort of based on the above but much simpler and quicker.

I'll post photos soon, but what I did (Rogue already in remember) was undo the rogue intake and remove it from the lower intake box part. Removed the S cover from the intercooler. Undid the screw on the rhs (as you look at it) and the two torx screws on the lhs from the plastic "firewall" part. Using a big flat screw driver for leverage and a lot of "hand pushing" I removed the base from the two retaining bolts, and wiggled the entire thing free. Did some chopping up, put back in the small rhs part of the plastic (upto where it clips over the wires, and put it all back together. Didn't take long at all, looks cool, and avoided many steps in Randy's "how-to" guide that I didn't feel I neede as I wasn't putting the main part of the plastic part back.

So all I needed was large flat head screwdriver (could use anything for leverage really) and various torx screws, and a cross-head for the rhs screw... then a stanley blade, hack saw, and some sand paper. Job done.

:D

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rasp said:
At last! someone is taking notice on how good this CAI really is..... :cool:
Yes, it think it is quite good! I am/was a little concerned with the foam filter (whether or not it breaks down with time), plus I am a K&N-type filter guy anyway! This just seemed to "fit" better with me!

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
If I did it again....

I'd probably leave a bit more on, see this scribbled on picture I stole from Randy's site as a rough template of what I'd probably do...

Everything is solid and in place, but the rubber along the top isn't attached to anything about the intake, and I'd probably like to change that. Might order a new bit in the future, can't imagine it would cost much.

·
The Mini Family Sponsers
1,607 Posts
CooperSAZ said:
Yes, it think it is quite good! I am/was a little concerned with the foam filter (whether or not it breaks down with time), plus I am a K&N-type filter guy anyway! This just seemed to "fit" better with me!
Foam filter? Mine is a cotton filter from what I recall....

·
The Mini Family Sponsers
1,607 Posts
Forgive me guys but removing the panel, is it only for sound improvement or is this a performance hike?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.