MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello again,

Just curious, I want to find out if I can have a cage in the MCS. I know for fact that #rd party is veto'd if you have a weld in cage in Victoria, but I don't know about QLD. Anyone in QLD have a cage?

Thanks.

Stephen.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Petrol Spice said:
Hello again,

Just curious, I want to find out if I can have a cage in the MCS. I know for fact that #rd party is veto'd if you have a weld in cage in Victoria, but I don't know about QLD. Anyone in QLD have a cage?

Thanks.

Stephen.
Hi,

I'm not sure of the situation in Queensland. In NSW you need an engineers certificate and "blue slip" which can be then submitted to the RTA. Your registration is modified, and presto, the car is legal. The process is similar for other major mods, eg replacing seats etc

However, it is best to consult with an engineer first, to see what is required. With my car, the workshop constructing the cage, went to the engineer, and got his list of requirements. There are particular requirements, eg side-bars, emergency access in case you need cutting out of the car, sun-visors etc etc. There is then the issue of making sure that the cage is both RTA and CAMS compliant.

Mine is a welded cage that is welded into the car, and is now legal, as the RTA have accepted the engineers report and certificate.

Stu Jones has a welded bolt-in John Cooper Works cage.

I don't know of anyone on the boards from Queensland who has fitted a cage. There are 2 minis coming down from Queensland for the East Coast Targa rally, so I will make enquiries from those guys for you.

By the way, the vast majority of road registered cars driving around with roll-cages are not street legal. Many people put them in, but don't declare it to the RTA. This will be a big issue in the case of an accident, as the insurance company may not cough up.

Cheers

Robbo

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Robbo your right and you will have to ensure you have an insurance company that will accept a Roll Cage. there are only a few that will accept this. 3rd party vendors will cover you if the car is engineered and approved by the RTA as they are bound by regulations stating that if the car is approved and roadworthy then they can only deny insurance if you have lied. Do the right thing and its all good.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
CanberraCooperS said:
Robbo your right and you will have to ensure you have an insurance company that will accept a Roll Cage. there are only a few that will accept this. 3rd party vendors will cover you if the car is engineered and approved by the RTA as they are bound by regulations stating that if the car is approved and roadworthy then they can only deny insurance if you have lied. Do the right thing and its all good.
Hi,

I'm insured with Shannons, who will accept virtually any modification, as long as it is legal, and you have declared it on your policy.

Robbo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

I'm insured with Shannons, who will accept virtually any modification, as long as it is legal, and you have declared it on your policy.

Robbo

Holy Hell Robbo, I just saw your gallery. Good God! How many point is your cage? How hard was it to fit the racing seats? I want to put Sparco's in mine and am curios to the fit time and difficulty.

I love it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have QLD Transport's bible for Roll Cages and Racing Seats

All,

I have done some research and am getting the bible for cages and seats. I will scan and .PDF and leave it somewhere here for you to D/L. As the law states, it MUST BE A WELD IN Fixture. It has to have no sharp edges (The feet will need to be ground smooth) there are also numerous plate thickness requirements et al. I will find out and get it here for all to enjoy.

There are problems when; you wish to have a back seat - Not with cage, thank you very much sir. You dash will have holes cut in it - only with a 8/10 point forward facing cage. But the 6 point rear set strut bracing cage is good for rego if you maketh it smooth as a babies butt.

Information to follow.

Thanks,

Stephen.

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
Most of that sounds pretty similar to NSW requirements and also the CAMS specs. If your going to have a cage installed make sure it complies with CAMS as well as Dept of Transport regs. No use having one thats road legal but not track/rally legal:eek:

Do lots of research on seats because once the cage is in there are not many brands of seats that fit, and if you want to maintain the slider in the drivers side you wont want to be too tall.

The biggest issue is side intrusion bars for ease of access in an accident. Road authorities want quick access and CAMS want bars up as high as possible. With Robbo's welded cage the intrusion bar is down nice and low at the fronty. Mine is bolt in and can be removed for day to day thereby complying with road regs.

Anyway the info you get will definately solve insomnia:rolleyes:

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

As Stu pointed out, check the seats very carefully. If you are putting in seats without a roll-cage it is not much drama.

However, with a roll cage, if you need a forward/backwards roller system, things get difficult due to lack of space. With a side intrusion bar, the choices of seats that will physically fit is very limited. I only found two that definitely fitted. One was a heavy sparco seat with a metal frame, and no crotch strap slot :eek: The other is the Cobra Imola 2 (narrow version) that both Stu and I have fitted.

Cheers

Robbo

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

As Stu pointed out, check the seats very carefully. If you are putting in seats without a roll-cage it is not much drama.

However, with a roll cage, if you need a forward/backwards roller system, things get difficult due to lack of space. With a side intrusion bar, the choices of seats that will physically fit is very limited. I only found two that definitely fitted. One was a heavy sparco seat with a metal frame, and no crotch strap slot :eek: The other is the Cobra Imola 2 (narrow version) that both Stu and I have fitted.

Cheers

Robbo
You would'nt have dimensions of the Cobras would you Robbo, just negotiating between the Imola 2's and Momo Cup's??? BTW with a JCW cage.

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
If you go to the website www.cobraseats.com there is detailed dimensions for each seat .

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
You would'nt have dimensions of the Cobras would you Robbo, just negotiating between the Imola 2's and Momo Cup's??? BTW with a JCW cage.
Hi,

try this LINK

By the way, the imola2 seats come in two sizes. Only the narrow one fits.

Even this seat is a compromise, as it is very close to the side intrusion bars, which limits where you can position the seat and ride height.

The imolas are a very light seat by the way :)

I got mine from Revolution Racegear, and from memory I think they were $715 each?

Cheers

Robbo

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

By the way, the imola2 seats come in two sizes. Only the narrow one fits.

Even this seat is a compromise, as it is very close to the side intrusion bars, which limits where you can position the seat and ride height.

The imolas are a very light seat by the way :)

Robbo
Dont worry Robbo, im pretty lean ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts