MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'am absolutley gutted. I've had my MCC for 2 weeks exactly, tried to take the roof back and it went half way then stuck. So thought to myself that maybe the motor had overheated or something so put the roof back up straight away. then on getting out of the car i noticed that it was gaping on the right hand side.
Tried to open it again etc after waiting for 2 and half hours just in case it was due to the motor overheating but no luck. I was really worried cause there was a gaping hole between the roof and the window and up in the north east of scotland we are prone to lots of rain!!

Turns out after bmw looking at it, the cable in the roof has snapped!! GUTTED. They are looking into it to see what they can do, talk of possibly replacing the roof or waiting for some part to fix it. Apparently another guy in aberdeen has had the same problem and has been waiting 5 weeks for the part!!!

Thankfully i have been giving a hire car in the meantime but it's no mini cabrio!!

Also don't know where i stand regarding my payments, if i do have to wait that long, thats whole months of payment, 10.9% Apr and car insurance (basically i'm paying £290 per month) for a car that i may not even get to drive!

Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen to them... i'm dreading having to wait that long for my car back!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi W800GEM

Sorry to hear the bad news. I haven't had any problems with mine picked up My MCSC last Saturday and all seems to be well. Will be a bit more worried next time I drop the roof. However as I live in Aberdeen aswell its not likely to happen any time soon bloody Fog.

Figas

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry to hear this, what car have they given you? If it is an 'equivalent' car to the MINI then no complaints but if inferior then would be wanting a good will gesture to compensate for the money you are paying out!!

Hope it gets fixed soon though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i've been given a vauxhall mariva so far which is too big for me, so getting changed to a corsa tomorrow. No roof action is the most annoying thing especially as the sun is out and i'm off for the weekend (only get 1 off a month at the most!)

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
Grr! Stamp your feet and wave your arms around until they give you a demo convertible :p

Seriously though, surely the dealership can do more for you? Go for their compassionate side :p

such a shame :( I hope your conv. is returned to you soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just Thought I'd Update You All And Let You Know How I Got On After The Cable In My Roof Snapped. I Have Had My Whole Roof Replaced, It Is A Different Roof That Has Been Fitted, Eg From The Inside It Is Different, Difficult To Explain How, Which I Assume Is Due To Bmw Making A Few Modifications On The Roof.
It Now Seems To Be A Common Problem! I Have Heard Of 3 People Alone In Aberdeen With The Same Problem. A Lot Of The Repair Men Have Now Received Training On How To Replace The Roof, So Hopefully Most People Won't Have To Wait More Than A Week Like Me!!
I Have To Say, Although I Was Really Unhappy That I Had A Problem, I Cannot Fault The Service I Received From Bmw Customer Care, The Car Hire Firm And John Clark Bmw. I Was Regularly Updated And Things Did Move Quickly, However To Receive The Car Back With A Small Scratch And A Dent Is I Bit Annoying, But I Have Been Assured That It Will Be Fixed At No Charge!!! I Can Only Hope That Is The End Of My Wee Nightmare!!!

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Good news you got it back:),but a shame it was damaged in the process:(

Now you are probably one of the first to have a replacement roof how are the rear quarters on the roof for wear marks.????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, It Was Great Haviing It Back Yesterday, Had A Fantastic Sunny Day!

I've Not Had Any Problems So Far With Roof Wear,
Fingers Crossed This Has Been Sorted In The New Roof Too!

·
Look Ma I'm flying!!
184 Posts
W800GEM said:
Just Thought I'd Update You All And Let You Know How I Got On After The Cable In My Roof Snapped. I Have Had My Whole Roof Replaced, It Is A Different Roof That Has Been Fitted, Eg From The Inside It Is Different, Difficult To Explain How, Which I Assume Is Due To Bmw Making A Few Modifications On The Roof.
It Now Seems To Be A Common Problem! I Have Heard Of 3 People Alone In Aberdeen With The Same Problem. A Lot Of The Repair Men Have Now Received Training On How To Replace The Roof, So Hopefully Most People Won't Have To Wait More Than A Week Like Me!!
I Have To Say, Although I Was Really Unhappy That I Had A Problem, I Cannot Fault The Service I Received From Bmw Customer Care, The Car Hire Firm And John Clark Bmw. I Was Regularly Updated And Things Did Move Quickly, However To Receive The Car Back With A Small Scratch And A Dent Is I Bit Annoying, But I Have Been Assured That It Will Be Fixed At No Charge!!! I Can Only Hope That Is The End Of My Wee Nightmare!!!

Thanks for this info, it would be very useful if you could identify the changes to your roof or post some pics for reference.

Cheers, Peter

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
And let us know if the new roof developes wear marks or not!

However, your car came back with dents and scratches?!?!? There's no way I'd stand for that...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

yeah i will try and get some pics on by the end of the week, and i will let you know if there are any further problems eg roof wear!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi there,

i went into the bmw garage to get the scratch sorted today so looked at another cabrio to look at what the differences are in the roof. I'm afraid i seemed to have imagined a few things! I was under the impression that the horizontal plastic panels on the inside of the roof was a new feature in my new roof, but as i saw today these were here all along. The only real thing that as chnaged is that the roof is a tighter fit at the back, ie no creases in the material.

Sorry for misleading you all, but i really did not think they were there before!

·
Look Ma I'm flying!!
184 Posts
W800GEM said:
Hi there,

i went into the bmw garage to get the scratch sorted today so looked at another cabrio to look at what the differences are in the roof. I'm afraid i seemed to have imagined a few things! I was under the impression that the horizontal plastic panels on the inside of the roof was a new feature in my new roof, but as i saw today these were here all along. The only real thing that as chnaged is that the roof is a tighter fit at the back, ie no creases in the material.

Sorry for misleading you all, but i really did not think they were there before!
Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Let us know how you get on with the replacement roof anyway.

Cheers, Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
convertible top cable snapped

Hi. About a week ago my convertible top stopped working. When I pushed the button for the top to go down, I could hear a noise that sounded like an engine/mechanical wheel attempted to move the top for a couple of seconds, but the top wouldn't move. I took it to my MINI dealer today, and the mechanic said the cables inside had snapped. And, to replace those, the entire mechanism would need replaced to the tune of $3000 USD. Ouch. Any experience out there with this? Are there other options?

Relatedly, I have a 50,000 mile warranty. Today it has 50,800 miles, and a week ago it probably had 50,400 miles (I took a fairly long trip this weekend). Any experience with whether or not MINI will show some mercy?

Thanks! Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
[email protected]
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing