MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum so please go easy on me! In the coming months, i will be ordering my new mini cooper. I intend to have a pepper white mini cooper with a pepper white roof and black viper stripes going from the bonnet, over the roof and down the rear of the car. However, i have a question, is the default white colour of the roof pepper white? If not, how would i go about getting the roof to match the body colour of the pepper white for the rest of the car? Also, about the viper stripes, would i have to order the mini itself with the viper stripes or would i have to do it myself? Would anyone happen to know what price i would be looking at for the viper stripes? Would BMW fit them for me by any chance?? Any answers would be most appreciated.

On another note, i have been quoted by Norwich Union at £2170.54 per annum. I am under the assumption that it is pretty good for a 17 year old, am i correct in assuming this??

For the mini cooper in general, are there anyhtings that are a "must-have" for the mini cooper or anything which would be good to have but not essential. Any suggestions welcome :)

regards
--marty
 

·
meow mini2 meow
Joined
·
560 Posts
Hello and welcome!

With a Cooper you can specify a roof colour either the same as the body or black or white. When ordering the dealer will go through it all don't worry.

In regard to insurance, try Tesco and Directline - they seem to be quite competitive for younger drivers - just take note of the compulsary excess for your age.

Other bits to get

Chili Pack - (inform your insuarance company about this)
ASC+T to get the full line of rocker switches
Air-Con or Climate Control
Multi Function Steering Wheel for cruise control and stereo control on the wheel
um, rear tints mabe?
Definately Heated Mirrors and Washer Jets

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snuffy said:
Multi Function Steering Wheel for cruise control and stereo control on the wheel
um, rear tints mabe?
I was definitely going to get rear tints, forgot to mention that! If i was to get the multi function steering wheel, would it work if i replaced the head unit of my mini (which i intend to do.)

As regards the stripes, do the insurance have to know? I dont understand why it should make any difference but i think it will in my case.

What does the Chilli Pack consist of exactly, Any more things i should get?

regards
--marty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
MSFW adaptor - see www.newministuff.co.uk/New_mini_bits.htm The company is run by mikeythemini who posts on this forum.

Stripes and insurance - no you don't have to tell them, but if you don't they could void your policy and refuse to pay up after an accident.

Check out www.mini.co.uk for up to date details of the Chili pack.

Snuffy's advice on spec seemed pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the moment, with my current car configuration, it comes up to £14,560 but this is without air con. I have a few questions....What is the difference between air con manual and automatic?? What is the difference between air con and climate control? If i chose neither, what would the mini come with? Why is air con so damn expensive???

regards
--marty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
xavier2k3 said:
At the moment, with my current car configuration, it comes up to £14,560 but this is without air con. I have a few questions....What is the difference between air con manual and automatic?? What is the difference between air con and climate control? If i chose neither, what would the mini come with? Why is air con so damn expensive???

regards
--marty
Hi im from Birmingham, solihull. nice to see a fellow brummie on here. i am ordering a Pepper white cooper within the next couple of weeks with viper stripes and body coloured roof with a bodykit and all the rest of it cant wait!!!!!!!!!!! anyway, im going for manual air con because its £200 cheaper than the automatic and you feel more in control with what going on, from a aftersales point of view air con is a must!!!!!! hope this helps a little :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
andymini1 said:
Hi im from Birmingham, solihull. nice to see a fellow brummie on here. i am ordering a Pepper white cooper within the next couple of weeks with viper stripes and body coloured roof with a bodykit and all the rest of it cant wait!!!!!!!!!!! anyway, im going for manual air con because its £200 cheaper than the automatic and you feel more in control with what going on, from a aftersales point of view air con is a must!!!!!! hope this helps a little :D :D :D
wow so there's a chance that we may see each other around then. I've only seen 2 others in Birmingham and they one of them was a demonstrator vehicle. (not sure if the other one was). How much is costing you in all then?? Where are you getting your bodykit?? I want to do a cooper s exhaust style change to mine after i get it.

regards
--marty
 

·
Armed to the teeth
Joined
·
182 Posts
Get yourself a One it'll be cheaper to insure and the 1500 or so quid you'll save from buying a standard cooper you could use to get some options. Always remember spend a max of 10% of the price of the basic car on options anymore and you'll lose money. Go for alloys, sports seats, sport suspension, spoiler. Or go for just the Chili pack.

I imagine going for the One will save you 500 quid in insurance costs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
icheatatscrabble said:
Get yourself a One it'll be cheaper to insure and the 1500 or so quid you'll save from buying a standard cooper you could use to get some options. Always remember spend a max of 10% of the price of the basic car on options anymore and you'll lose money. Go for alloys, sports seats, sport suspension, spoiler. Or go for just the Chili pack.

I imagine going for the One will save you 500 quid in insurance costs.
thing is, the price of the car really aint am object fo rme as my dad's buying it for me, and i was happy with the insurance quote i was given because it's affordable as i earn more than enough as i have a job as well as being at a college. I don't particularly want a mini one you see and i don't see the point modding/tuning one either. The cooper's my fave out of all of them and i've always wanted one. I intend to get the chilli pack and also make my own mods to the car like alloys, and bucket seats. I'll be taking the sports seats in the cooper out anyway. My main concern was the air conditioning and whether it was necessary and which one to get.

regards
--marty
 

·
owt else is just traffic
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Get the MINI ONE cos its cheaper to insure and no less fun,i 'm on my second ONE and have a spec similar to what your after.
 

Attachments

·
bepmoc-er
Joined
·
265 Posts
get a onne with some kind of allys, get a roof decal so it doesnt look too 'one' like, delete the model badge when you order it, and oh yeah get it superchipped or amd'd for genuine cooper power. only your conscience dictates whether you tell your insurer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zyo said:
Get the MINI ONE cos its cheaper to insure and no less fun,i 'm on my second ONE and have a spec similar to what your after.
ye i have seen your mini and idolised it for quite some time. i didn't know that it was a mini one however until a couple days ago! I would get a one but i'm a performance freak and i could get a turbo kit pushing it to 200bhp+ for only £1k. The mini one just doesnt seem to have that "umph" about it and doesnt seem like a car that can be thrashed around and i was happy with the insurance quote i was given. I hear that the mini insurance is cheaper though but they no longer insure young drivers do they?? :confused:

about your mini, where did you get your stripes done? have you made any mods to your car?

regards
--marty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
fellow brummie!!!!!!!!

xavier2k3 said:
wow so there's a chance that we may see each other around then. I've only seen 2 others in Birmingham and they one of them was a demonstrator vehicle. (not sure if the other one was). How much is costing you in all then?? Where are you getting your bodykit?? I want to do a cooper s exhaust style change to mine after i get it.

regards
--marty

its costing just over £20.000 CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.im getiing the factory fitted BMW bodykit an extra £1350 also im having colour coded arches and colour coded interior dash and doors. we'll have to meet up or somethin when u get it, what other options you puttin on any??? you gotta have air con!! definatly speak to u later

Andy :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
andymini1 said:
its costing just over £20.000 CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.im getiing the factory fitted BMW bodykit an extra £1350 also im having colour coded arches and colour coded interior dash and doors. we'll have to meet up or somethin when u get it, what other options you puttin on any??? you gotta have air con!! definatly speak to u later

Andy :D :D :D
ye, i'm gonna get manual air con. In total, mine should come upto about £15,300. That's for chilli pack, air con, tinted back windows, multi function steering wheel, harman kardon hi-fi, cd player, traction control, electric wing mirros, heated wash thingymabobby cant remember anything else. Out of the mini site, I need to get my viper stripes (may get bmw to fit them) and a cooper s aero kit. getting quad dual exhausts either side and fitting a turbo kit as well. Should push mini to about 210bhp. The turbo kit aint too expensive either which is good. What is the bmw bodykit actually like then? You got any pics?

regards
--marty
 

·
owt else is just traffic
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
If your thinking about an aftermarket turbo kit surely it would be cheaper to just buy a MCS.I'm sure an insurance company would rather issue a policy on a factory performance car rather than a aftermarket tuned one.Don't forget your warranty will not be valid once you tinker too much.Regarding the vipers,i got mine done at my dealers for £240 fitted but don't do what i did and assume that all dealers charge the same cos another dealer later told me that they do them for £180 fitted,and their guy takes off the various bits of trim to fit them whereas the amateur that did mine did not,.. he just went round them,they had to be redone cos i could have done better myself with a blindfold on after his first attempt.Still not 100% but i'm not loosing sleep over it.I told my insurance about the vipers and the s spokes (cos if there is a way out of paying they will be sure to find it,)and it did not cost any extra,but i am 36.I started off driving in a mini 1000 which cost £100 and it lasted 9 days.I stuck the shock through the back wheel arch after a couple of days after hitting a sleeping policeman(actually it was a pipe covered in concrete)while doing about 65mph down a country lane.I reversed the back light into a wall next and then on the ninth day i wrote it off over a humped back bridge,just shows you dont need shed loads of power to be a lunatic.
Ive only added the chrome shark vents and the s spokes since i've had it.Good luck with what you order.Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
zyo said:
If your thinking about an aftermarket turbo kit surely it would be cheaper to just buy a MCS.I'm sure an insurance company would rather issue a policy on a factory performance car rather than a aftermarket tuned one.Don't forget your warranty will not be valid once you tinker too much.Regarding the vipers,i got mine done at my dealers for £240 fitted but don't do what i did and assume that all dealers charge the same cos another dealer later told me that they do them for £180 fitted,and their guy takes off the various bits of trim to fit them whereas the amateur that did mine did not,.. he just went round them,they had to be redone cos i could have done better myself with a blindfold on after his first attempt.Still not 100% but i'm not loosing sleep over it.I told my insurance about the vipers and the s spokes (cos if there is a way out of paying they will be sure to find it,)and it did not cost any extra,but i am 36.I started off driving in a mini 1000 which cost £100 and it lasted 9 days.I stuck the shock through the back wheel arch after a couple of days after hitting a sleeping policeman(actually it was a pipe covered in concrete)while doing about 65mph down a country lane.I reversed the back light into a wall next and then on the ninth day i wrote it off over a humped back bridge,just shows you dont need shed loads of power to be a lunatic.
Ive only added the chrome shark vents and the s spokes since i've had it.Good luck with what you order.Paul
you don't seem to have the best of luck then! For a mini cooper s, the insurance would be too much. I wont get the turbo kit till i have my 3rd years no claim bonus. (with rapid bonus from norwich union, you can get 5 years no clame bonus in 3 years as long as you have a pass plus certificate which i shall be getting).

regards
--marty
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top