MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Has anyone investigated the possibility of a roof rack ? Do BMW make one to fit ? I have never used one before. Unfortunately if you need to pack the car up with people and luggage it really seems to become necessary.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
BMW Group Australia has wisely decided against the standard rack that requires holes cut into the roof for fitment. They are looking at other designs from outside suppliers for an alternative method of fitment.
 

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
Yeah I asked my dealer, but he kept on telling me to wait until my car arrives, I'm getting a notion that BMW don't want the rack to be used, even though they have advertised it!

I'm only speculating the, anyays I don't want 4 plastic cover stuck in my white roof, wehn I'm not using the rack!

what if someone pinches em? it ranis and your car gets wet duing to water draining down through the drilled holes and seeping out throught the rrof cloth into your car! BAD!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Ibb said:
Yeah I asked my dealer, but he kept on telling me to wait until my car arrives, I'm getting a notion that BMW don't want the rack to be used, even though they have advertised it!

I'm only speculating the, anyays I don't want 4 plastic cover stuck in my white roof, wehn I'm not using the rack!

what if someone pinches em? it ranis and your car gets wet duing to water draining down through the drilled holes and seeping out throught the rrof cloth into your car! BAD!!!

Ummm......yes cutting four holes in the roof of the car seems a little drastic. And far too permanent. I would wait until some of the major rack manufacturers come up with a better arrangement.

:)
 

·
Addicted to Speed!!
Joined
·
4,865 Posts
Smokey said:
Hello

Has anyone investigated the possibility of a roof rack ? Do BMW make one to fit ? I have never used one before. Unfortunately if you need to pack the car up with people and luggage it really seems to become necessary.Thanks
Are you buying the right car? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
You can be buying the right car, and still want roof racks. I'm buying a Cooper S, and I'll likely get a small receiver hitch fitted when they sort it out for the S.

Our current and future cars get used mostly for single occupant trips, sometimes we both go somewhere, and we drive to the cottage many times a year for mini-vacations.

If I really need space, I'll hitch up the trailer, load up roof racks, and anything else I need to do for a trip. Just because you want to take stuff, dosen't mean you should have to live with a Minivan or a Wagon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
noahe said:
You can be buying the right car, and still want roof racks. I'm buying a Cooper S, and I'll likely get a small receiver hitch fitted when they sort it out for the S.

Our current and future cars get used mostly for single occupant trips, sometimes we both go somewhere, and we drive to the cottage many times a year for mini-vacations.

If I really need space, I'll hitch up the trailer, load up roof racks, and anything else I need to do for a trip. Just because you want to take stuff, dosen't mean you should have to live with a Minivan or a Wagon.

Ummmm, yea ok.

:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
costs 82 GBP plus 17 GBP for fitting kit - 1 part for black roofs 1 part for white roofs.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
yeah, i have been reflecting lots about getting a roof rack that would come in really handy when we do trips and need to carry my bike or skis or luggage.
like it's been said, making permanent holes in the roof is going to be my last option.
i have seen some magnetic ski and snowboard racks, and am sure i will a suitable magnetic roof rack for luggage eventually. just that in my case it gets tricky with the sunroof. as the magnetic surface area are rather large

would appreciate if anyone knows of any other roof rack options without blasting holes
thnx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Is it just me, or does that roof rack look like it is riding very high above the roof of the car?? I'm really not keen on the idea of drilling holes in the roof, so I've decided that unless someone comes up with a better idea, I'll put a rack on my girlfriend's car...

I'm surprised Thule haven't got anything on the market yet...

kjs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Roof rack

It's a real problem. I called Thule the other week and they haven't managed to fit a roof rack to the new mini as yet (which is nightmare as they are the largest roof rack manufacturer).

Still, whoever does come up with a solution will be quids in.

Richie
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top