MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt the need to start a new thread for surfers. i just got my cooper and am trying to find an option for roof racks. Many of you have claimed that the mont blanc (with bike rack) is great and I would like to explore the option of no holes in my roof. But does anyone have the mont blanc and carry a surf board? I probably will carry my 9 footer often.
What are your thoughts people :p

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I'm also interested in this, I have an MCS on order, and would like to carry a windsurf board on the roof, but I am not keen on drilling holes in the roof for the standard fit roofrack, but I am concerned that the third party roofracks will not be able to cope with the pull created by the board on the roof.

Matthew

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the Mont Blanc rack on my cooper S, and my board was 8' and there was no problems with it at all. Speeds well over the legal limit were not a problem. Solid as a rock and it leaves no marks at all. Thoroughly recomended, and it's a very reasonable price as well. No drilling in the roof is a bonus as well.

I will just have to live without surfing now, as an 8' board and a MCSC don't quite go together!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I, too, am extremely interested. I have a board that is a 7'10" fun shape. Need something strong and reliable! Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pics of the Mont Blanc???

Cooper_S_Cab said:
I had the Mont Blanc rack on my cooper S, and my board was 8' and there was no problems with it at all. Speeds well over the legal limit were not a problem. Solid as a rock and it leaves no marks at all. Thoroughly recomended, and it's a very reasonable price as well. No drilling in the roof is a bonus as well.

I will just have to live without surfing now, as an 8' board and a MCSC don't quite go together!
Do you have any pics by any chance? I would love to see what they look like. And where are they available for purchase? Thanks again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if want a more temporary rack many surfshops carry all sorts of softracks that take 2 minutes to put on and even less to take off, many can hold 1-6 shortboards and 1-4longboards. (i work at a surfshop in newport beach, so we have all sorts of racks. ive sold racks to 4 different people with cooper(s))

if you decide to go with a soft rack, id reccomend the dakine racks, they have a good clasp system and good pads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mini-HaHa said:
Do you have any pics by any chance? I would love to see what they look like. And where are they available for purchase? Thanks again.
Hi Mini-HaHa!

Moss carries the Mont Blanc. Check the exterior section. It's as expense as Yakima or Thule.

Surfing at Sandy Hook? ;)

hey,
duard​
"Serfs up!" - Spartacus

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have this for my 7' 6" board its great i also have the surfboard carrier atachment which is soft rubber that goes over the rails and two long board straps and a carrier for windsurf pole £28 in uk order from any motorworld store ;)

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
There are several rack threads in the modificaitons/exterior area. Have the MB myself, haven't carried a surfboard, but have carried 12 - 8 foot 2x4s strapped onto it at once - so probably about size and weight of surfboard with no problem.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I have the MINI factory rack and am very happy with it. I have bike carriers, a cargo box, and kayak carriers that allow me to carry up to 75Kg/165lbs.

The holes thru the roof are really not that big a deal, see my gallery. It is the most rugged, solidly mounted rack that I have ever used. Items ride very quietly at speeds up to 85mph (gas mileage suffers badly at speed :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Cooper_S_Cab said:

I would have thought that with the top down the surfboard would have fitted on its side wedged between the rear headrestraints :D :D

Or put the rear seats down and have the surfboard flat in the boot and balanced on the front seat head restraints. just a couple of bungees to hold it down. :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
price

any other thoughts on racks now that the dealers around here want 900 dollars to install them??
I looked at the yakima but the website states that there will probably be warping and bending of the roof and trim.
Not sure I want that on my baby
-B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.