MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roof started rattling on the right hand side and now its started doing it on the left too. Effect is that whenever I drive over anything but a perfect surface, the roof rattles annoyingly.

Has anyone else had this problem?

CelticLover

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, I've found that sometimes mine does rattle but most of the time it doesn't. I wonder whether sometimes the roof doesn't fit exactly into the parts it's supposed and so it makes these noises. I find it is worse when it is sunroof position.

I am worried that if I take it back to be fixed that they will play about with it and make more rattles - as I think others have experienced this.

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
I'm not sure how helpful this is, as my MINI hasn't arrived yet, but you will experience some roof rattles with a Convertible.

However, these should be quite discrete, ie you should be able to comfortably forget about them without them irritating you, and you shouldn't be able to hear them over music. They should only really happen when going over a bump or an uneven surface.

The amount of rattle you are prepared to accept is up to you really. If you're not happy, get it straight back to the dealership. Take someone out for a drive so they can hear it for themselves (and they can ferret around finding where it's coming from) and then they can do their best to fix it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
but you will experience some roof rattles with a Convertible - why? Not being funny but I wouldnt expect that on a modern and non-to-cheap car?

Cheers
Dave

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
They just make noises - they always have and always will. They're nowhere near as solid as a hard roof, obviously, and are full of hinges and bits of tickery to make them fold up. Just the fact that the roof is made of fabric and so flexible is going to give some rattles.

Convertibles just aren't excellent with the roof up. You can expect them to be reasonably quiet, but it's never going to be like a hard roof. It's part of the trade-off you face to have the ultimate in amazingness when the weathers good and you can drive around with no roof at all ;)

It'll be fiiiine!

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
rainbowdreamer said:
But don't all MINIs rattle? :p
Lolll :p If i hear so much as a squeak out of my dash or doors then I'll be heading *straight* back to the dealer :D WRT the roofs... looks like most of us will need a warranty replacement due to the wear problem anyway, so perhaps roof rattles are neither here nor there for the moment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For the first 3 weeks - no rattles (and up and down with roof each day), in the last 4 days it has begun to rattle - not just little sounds, but very noisy - will be going back to dealers and leaping in their demo models to compare, and hopefully prove that mine is noiser and therefore needs looking at - mind you, it needs a look anyway - roof wear problem and motor sounding like it is on its last legs half way through the closing roof! As long as dealer and factory look after me, I'm happy, as this is one of the most fun cars I have had ! (I worked out I've owned 18 cars so far, so that's a pretty good indication of the Mini fun factor).

·
Dark Silver/White
75 Posts
After the first week end of non stop driving with the the roof down, I began to hear an annoting knocking at the back with the roof up, on the passenger side. It was only sitting in the back with my boyfriend driving to see where it was coming from did I realise that it was the seat belt mechanisim clunking against the plastic siding on the side of the car. I know have to tuck this inbetween the seat and the plastic and hey presto, no rattles :rolleyes:

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Carolynn said:
After the first week end of non stop driving with the the roof down, I began to hear an annoting knocking at the back with the roof up, on the passenger side. It was only sitting in the back with my boyfriend driving to see where it was coming from did I realise that it was the seat belt mechanisim clunking against the plastic siding on the side of the car. I know have to tuck this inbetween the seat and the plastic and hey presto, no rattles :rolleyes:
I had this too!!! My rear seat belt buckle actually scratched the back panels, so now i plug in the seat belts when not in use!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yup, I've had the seat belt buckle knocking about when not carrying a passenger - can't believe that BMW missed this as a potential annoyance - 'cos it is very annoying - but the roof rattle noise is definitely from the roof (and not the seat belt), and seems to come from the main metal cross brace that goes across the middle of the roof (when up of course!). Oh well, off to the dealers soon I guess!

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
dinger said:
I would'nt speak to soon if I was you.:D :D
Don't say that! Lol!

Hopefully I'll get any problems I encounter fixed when it goes back for the JCW stuff a few weeks later.

Lexuslover - how irritating :( Still, so long as your dealership looks after you properly it shouldn't be an issue for long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
abs0lutely
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing