MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Now Cooper D Clubman
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not moaning about it, just I have identified why it wears. As you can see from the pictures the small wear patches above rear windows and on stitch line either side of rear window come together when you fold roof. If it is adjustable so these two points do not chafe then it will not wear. Maybe some peoples roofs sit ever so slightly higher than others and do not rub. I am engineer and discovered this in 5 minutes this morning, so surely Mini engineers should identify and rectify it. If I get new roof as promised then I will be putting sponge pieces between these two points ( fiddly I know ) until BMW comes up with a permanent fix. Also the fraying edges on mine are caused by the roof not folding correctly, but is easily rectified by pulling out the folded in portion and pressing the crease line so next time it "remembers" the correct fold. I hope people bring this to attention of dealers and insist on new roof then BMW will rectify it if it costs them money to replace all the affected roofs. I hope this is positive fedback for a change and not "whining" and "complaining". ( Ref. "thebigyin")
Please last thread for latest update and cure details!

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Griffer, great observations. I think the entire community of MINI convertible owners will find this useful as a starting point to see where/how their top wear issues emerge. I know I will use these points to keep a more watchful eye on the top the next several months.

Hopefully your information will find its way back to the MINI engineering team - if nothing else as one additional point of reference for them as they work out a long-term solution.

As an engineer myself (Aeronautical by training, now writing software), I say you do our profession proud by examining the problem and looking for the cause and solution. That's what engineers do best!:D

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
I saw your not about the way the roof folded in another thread. I then went through pics of my convertible and saw that my roof doesn't fold like yours did. It folded the 'correct' way and this may be why I don't have fraying.
Good observations...
(btw I am an engineer too...well just got my BE)

·
Gotta Get Out More!!!
831 Posts
So which way is it supposed to fold

Am I assuming correct that the rear shot you posted showing the folded roof is the 'incorrect fold'? So when I get mine, I should make sure that it does not fold this way?

And by the way, I am not an engineer, but I am an auditor (read: 'EVIL") and can appreciate a mind that is technical and digs for root causes of problems. I also am always seeking clarification :p

·
Registered
295 Posts
Griffer said:
I'm not moaning about it, just I have identified why it wears. As you can see from the pictures the small wear patches above rear windows and on stitch line either side of rear window come together when you fold roof. If it is adjustable so these two points do not chafe then it will not wear. Maybe some peoples roofs sit ever so slightly higher than others and do not rub. I am engineer and discovered this in 5 minutes this morning, so surely Mini engineers should identify and rectify it. If I get new roof as promised then I will be putting sponge pieces between these two points ( fiddly I know ) until BMW comes up with a permanent fix. Also the fraying edges on mine are caused by the roof not folding correctly, but is easily rectified by pulling out the folded in portion and pressing the crease line so next time it "remembers" the correct fold. I hope people bring this to attention of dealers and insist on new roof then BMW will rectify it if it costs them money to replace all the affected roofs. I hope this is positive fedback for a change and not "whining" and "complaining". ( Ref. "thebigyin")
Thanks Griffer for an excellent job of testing and detective work this should provide the MINI engineers with a big start on solving the problem - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are indeed trying to fix the problem!
I wonder if any of the cabrio owners who have used the 303 protectant has seen any reduction in this discoloration with the use of 303 or whether really loading the two "rubbing" spots with 303 has any beneficial effect? - Any input, guys and gals?

·
Now Cooper D Clubman
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gr8Dain said:
Am I assuming correct that the rear shot you posted showing the folded roof is the 'incorrect fold'? So when I get mine, I should make sure that it does not fold this way?

And by the way, I am not an engineer, but I am an auditor (read: 'EVIL") and can appreciate a mind that is technical and digs for root causes of problems. I also am always seeking clarification :p
Yes that is the incorrect fold. Just pull out the corners and press the fold line and next time it should fold correctly. If not repeat again. Mine folds correctly every time now but be warned if it does not it will fray in a couple of weeks. My dealer offered to replace car or the roof, I took the new roof option as I really do like the car. However I am delaying for a month while the dealer feeds back my wear problem observations to BMW and I am also going to write to them enclosing pictures. I think the roof must be adjustable so it sits slightly higher when fully folded. This would also account for why not everyone has the problem. Also I considered the 303 roof protectant but it would invalidate warranty as it is not BMW approved. I was given roof impregnator which is used for re-proofing the roof after cleaning, by the dealer. Even though the 303 stuff is probably better as it offers a barrier it will invalidate your warranty ( only if you tell them! ). Oh yes I am a aeronautical avionics engineer for the Royal Navy.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Griffer said:
Also I considered the 303 roof protectant but it would invalidate warranty as it is not BMW approved.
What would it invalidate? You can wash your car with whatever products you want - why would using 303 be any different? The 303 will not cause leaks, create defective roof mechanisms, or cause rear windows to break - the typical faults people are reporting with the convertible top so far.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I treated the roof with 303 convertible protectant the first week I had the car. So far, no discoloration or leaks. However, the protectant can be a little tricky to apply. If you get it on the windows and it drys, it will leave spots that are difficult to remove! (If you use 303, make sure that it is the product for canvas convertible tops, not the regular protectant or the vinyl convertible top protectant.)

ftbt

2005 Works Cooper S Convertible, DS-w- White Bonnet Stripes, Sn. 6808 + Clear Bra.

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, + '05 JCW upgrade; DS/W; Sport + Premium + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, XDrilled Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines + Clear Bra + Cobra Daytonas + Schroth Harnesses and a full tank of 100 octane ... life is good!

2002 Cooper CVT LY/W

·
Registered
437 Posts
ftbt said:
I treated the roof with 303 convertible protectant the first week I had the car. So far, no discoloration or leaks. However, the protectant can be a little tricky to apply. If you get it on the windows and it drys, it will leave spots that are difficult to remove! (If you use 303, make sure that it is the product for canvas convertible tops, not the regular protectant or the vinyl convertible top protectant.)

A friend came up with a good idea when you want to apply the 303 top protectant:

Open the Top, keep the windows up, place a large thin drop cloth so it drapes over the windows, and then then raise the top. This will cover all the windows while you apply the 303.

I haven't applied any yet because the directions say it works better when applied in very warm weather.

·
NODDDY
153 Posts
I won't be taking delivery of my MCSC until April, but am keenly looking at all the info here to be ready for when it arrives.

How soon after I receive the car should I treat it with 303? Is it better to treat it on day one, or leave it for a period until the factory treatment (if any) depletes?

Cheers

Frosty

·
05 Model MCS + 05 SoftTop
10 Posts
Cheers all for raising this issue...will check the roof in day light....please keep us all posted.

Mark
Development Engineer!
Ex. WRC

I think engineers like minis due them being...fit for purpose..

Oh and they have a good resale value and us engineers are sometimes called tight, can't believe it myself...

·
Now Cooper D Clubman
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Roof wear fix!!!!!

I have had a reply from BMW/Mini customer services that there is now a fix for the roof wear problem which consists of modified arms in the folding mechanism ( I think as they would not give me a detailed description of the fix ). My dealer had heard nothing so the service manager phoned them up and reported back to me it should be included in the February technical update CDRom which all dealers get. Hopefully it will detail the modified roof parts avaiable to remedy the problem. The canvas can be replaced seperately so it should cure all your roof wear woes! If you have ANY wear signs get down to your dealer and let him know there is a fix due and insist yours is repaired.
On a lighter note I bought a wind deflecter and it is a revelation! Cuts out 95% of drafts around your legs and back of your neck. I had roof down at night in -2 degrees and I had to turn the heating down and the heated seats to the lower heat setting! If you haven't got one yet get one! End of sales pitch. Cheers, Griffer.

·
Gotta Get Out More!!!
831 Posts
Great News!!! I have been watching our roof daily waiting to see if the wear marks start. I will save this info and use it.

And with regard to the wind deflector, I agree with you. It makes a difference to me as well. I had no problem driving around in sub-freezing temps with it. I got a little breeze on my legs, but not enough to complain.

Thanks for the update.

Dain

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.