MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone noticed their roof wearing???

Mine has started in the last few days, just above the rear windows and on the back corners, there are some faded patches. This is caused by the way the roof rubs on the mechanism when it folds....

Anwyay, saw four other convertibles at the South Downs run yesterday, and they all had the same problem......Goonery's one had actually started to fray.....

He did say though that we should expect a fix for this in the next few months.....

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this????

Jon

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
They all do it. I was told it was fixed for production cars though.

:mad:

I've got photos of the press car I had, that was doing it. Also the cars that the dealer had on display, they were doing it...

Not good if this has made it to the cars they're selling to the public as it's not something that's just appeared, it was on the cars we used on the first drive event which was months ago!

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
eeeek.

Well if this is the case, they're going to be replacing my roof every few weeks for three years :D ;)

It would certainly be very very silly of them to still be pumping out cars with this problem if they have known about it since so early on. Fingers crossed for my S.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have seen this above the rear windows on my car.
I hope it doesn't develop ino an issue where the early cars have big bugs which require them to be returned regularly
Mine is already going back for a rattle and to fix a faulty fuel gauge which left me and the AA guy wondering waht was wrong with the car that it wouldn't start!

Bob

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul Mullett said:
Not good if this has made it to the cars they're selling to the public as it's not something that's just appeared, it was on the cars we used on the first drive event which was months ago!
Perhaps its just the earlier cars that have the problem then??

Mine is a May build car, although I didnt get it until a week ago due to them holding it back to fix the roof (hmmmm....)....

Its strange though..... my dealer isn't aware of the problem!

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Ours is also showing signs of marking permanently where the roof folds its self on the rear corners.:(

Its NOW going back to the dealers on Friday to have various things sorted.:)

1...A bad rattle behind the speedo.:)
2...Roof being replace due to ours staining badly.:(
3...CD head unit being replace with the right version .:(
4...Paint missing between the door and the body work on both sides.:(

I have a funny feeling that I've been here before me thinks.:(

dinger.:(

·
MINI SPONSOR
329 Posts
Sorry to hear about this problem. Dinger: Goodluck with your baby.

They all do it. I was told it was fixed for production cars though.
I've got photos of the press car I had, that was doing it. Also the cars that the dealer had on display, they were doing it...Not good if this has made it to the cars they're selling to the public as it's not something that's just appeared,
it was on the cars we used on the first drive event which was months ago![/QUOTE]

Paul: That is the first time you are mentioning this,I believe.
Was there a reason that you didn't write about this before?
This would have given notice to buyers of the new cabrios.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul did mention before that the convertible he drove from Spain to home (a red one i seem to remember) showed signs of wear on the roof quite a while ago..... None of us thought though that these faults would make it through on to production models....

Having been to the dealer today and made it clear that I was unhappy, they are filing a PUMA REPORT with BMW which from what I understand suggests that they perform a recall on this problem......

Although Goonery did say to me yesterday that BMW know about it, and will release a fix under warranty in the next few months..... Until then, I guess we have to put up with sub standard £17k cars?

Hmmmmm

·
MINI SPONSOR
329 Posts
minicabrio-UK: I get pleasure and knowledge from Paul's threads. I have read much of what he has written on the cabrio. I can't remember that it was ever mentioned.
Paul did write regarding the recall on the roof mecanism.

Paul did mention before that the convertible he drove from Spain to home (a red one i seem to remember) showed signs of wear on the roof quite a while ago..... None of us thought though that these faults would make it through on to production models....
I have listed a couple of threads that Paul has written:

Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM #
""Roof was good (you'd have heard about it if it wasn't) it's dark with the roof up, but you actually get used to that very quickly.

Sunroof is almost entirely useless. We found if you put the roof anywhere between sunroof open and closed (infinately adjustable they say) it squeeked and rattled. We did use the roof a couple of times in the city, but not that much at all. It's very noisy at speed (the sunroof) as there's no deflector.""
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There will be a recall on MINI Convertibles
roof mecanism is faulty.
""Seems you're not alone, however I've now covered 2k and the roof has been up and down (sunroof, full roof) and it's fine. However, we're talking a press car here, so they've probably been well oiled before being dished out!!""
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the full Spain trip review which was great!!! http://www.mini2.com/news/news235.html
but no mention of wear on top.

·
EV Mini
35 Posts
Folks I also have some wear on my roof near the rear windows. At the moment it only looks like a slight colour discolouration where the roof folds. My MOC is back with the dealer next week so I will raise the issue then along with a new CD head, as I have the old one!, and some damage on the radiator grille that I pointed out when I picked the car up.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
minicabrio-uk, dinger et al; sorry to read your posts, hope everything gets sorted out for you - pls let us all know how you get on; am sure other convertible owners will now be keeping a close eye on their roofs; hope the fix that "we've" been told about works ...

·
Finally here!!
71 Posts
My roof has the same problems, even though delivery was delayed supposedly to fix the problem. It has already been back to the dealer for the following:

1. To have the boot repainted
2. To be valeted (it was dirty on collection)
3. Supaguarded (the dealer did not know whether it had been done or not)
4. CD player exchanged for new MP3 version
5. Chrome tailpipe replaced.

It still has to be booked in for the following: :(

1. Repaint bonnet
2. Repaint rear bumper
3. Repaint boot (again)
4. Replace roof (When fix is available)

The quality control issues are disappointing, but the car itself is fantastic!!! :)
1800 miles in under 2 weeks says it all. :D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
usaminicooper said:
minicabrio-UK: I get pleasure and knowledge from Paul's threads. I have read much of what he has written on the cabrio. I can't remember that it was ever mentioned.
Go to page 6 of the Convertible forum.... there is a thread entitled "What is going on in Oxford"..... Its was a while ago now.........

Paul wrote, "Roof wearing at a few points due to rubbing/folding." Read the thread and it will make sense.....

I hate having to back up what I say..... If I said that somebody mentioned something.... then they did!!!

Hope this is clear now..... It has been known about for a while, but these problems are still on customer cars.........

Jon

·
MINI SPONSOR
329 Posts
:mad: DINGER: Paint missing between the door and the body work on both sides

X3CAT:
1. Repaint bonnet
2. Repaint rear bumper
3. Repaint boot (again)

Mini may have a problem with there new paint facility,me thinks
180,000 cars a year in a manufacturing plant originally designed for 125,000 Minis.
I think there will be a new thread in MINI2 forum called.

THEY SCREWED UP MY MINI ALSO
I'm worried,what is going on? :(

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I have mentioned this before, however, it was on pre-production cars and you don't expect things like this to make it to production. I had even been led to believe this was solved for cars going to customers, hence no need to mention it. Now we're seeing customer cars are having these problems, I think it's worth mentioning how long it's been around.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
X3CAT said:
My roof has the same problems, even though delivery was delayed supposedly to fix the problem. It has already been back to the dealer for the following:

1. To have the boot repainted
2. To be valeted (it was dirty on collection)
3. Supaguarded (the dealer did not know whether it had been done or not)
4. CD player exchanged for new MP3 version
5. Chrome tailpipe replaced.

It still has to be booked in for the following: :(

1. Repaint bonnet
2. Repaint rear bumper
3. Repaint boot (again)
4. Replace roof (When fix is available)

The quality control issues are disappointing, but the car itself is fantastic!!! :)
1800 miles in under 2 weeks says it all. :D
This is a disgrace & if I were you I would reject the car or at least get some serious compensation from MINI. There is no way it is acceptable to require so much of the car re-painted :mad:

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
I have to agree with with all that amount of repainting I would of thought they have a very good case for rejection,but ........hang on if they reject the car how long is the waiting going to be for a replacement from that dealership,because if its like mine he wont get a replacement until next year.:( or would they make this a special case and be able to deliver one sooner.:confused:

dinger.:)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
dinger said:
I have to agree with with all that amount of repainting I would of thought they have a very good case for rejection,but ........hang on if they reject the car how long is the waiting going to be for a replacement from that dealership,because if its like mine he wont get a replacement until next year.:( or would they make this a special case and be able to deliver one sooner.:confused:

dinger.:)
The dealership would have to provide you with another vehicle until the new one arrives or let you keep the rejected car.

They should be able to get a quicker delivery from the factory perhaps using a built slot from a stock car for the showroom or MINI will have space slots for the cars that are rejected.

The dealer probably won't be fussed as they will no doubt sell that car for list price or more!

1 - 20 of 279 Posts
About this Discussion
278 Replies
72 Participants
dalboyne
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing