MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MINI 2 Veteran
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've got a BRG 2003 MINI, about 75K miles on the odometer. Last year the clutch was replaced. Over the last few months my wife and I noticed a grinding noise when the car is under acceleration or when we let off the gas and the engine is loaded. These noises do not happen when the clutch is disengaged or the car is in neutral.

Is this my car's endgame, and am I looking at the dreaded transmission failure? Is there any chance this would be caused by low transmission fluid? Will continuing to drive with this grind cause a catastrophic failure?

I unfortunately feel that the MINI dealerships that have taken care of my car previously have not done a great job maintaining my MINI, not out with bad intent but simple ignorance. I recently moved to the south San Francisco bay area (San Jose, Cupertino), so I haven't found a reliable mechanic that's willing to work on the car and knows what they're doing. Any suggestions on this front?

Indygo

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
If it is a pre 2004 Cooper with the early Midland gearbox there is a fair chance it could be the dreaded transmission failure.
If you wish to convert to a later 5-speed Getrag or even better the 6-speed Cooper S Getrag transmission I know Texas Speedwerks have done this conversion in the USA. They have also produced a detailed 32 page PDF file describing the swap from a 5-speed Midlands to a 6-speed Getrag called "Fixing the Weak Link" (PM me if you would like a copy or contact Speedwerks direct, see Link below:-
Texas Speedwerks Customer Service

Update - PDF file is now available from Speedwerks online see link in this posting :-
http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-cooper/162634-getrag-6-speed-swap-how.html

·
MINI 2 Veteran
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Midlands for Getrag Transmission swap

Thank you for the reply, this sounds like an interesting idea. My cooper is an early 2003, so yes, it has the Midlands transmission. I was reading through Bentley's Cooper Service Manual and they explicitly state the differences between the Cooper and Cooper S those years is the supercharger and the transmission. I will PM you to request the PDF doc and see what's involved.

I'm currently located in California, so Texas will be a bit difficult to reach for this operation. I will see if any local shops would be able to take this on and not require my first born as payment.

Thank you again for the suggestion.

-Indy

·
MINI 2 Veteran
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, I'm on the hunt for a used getrag transmission suitable for the R50 MC, as well as the parts required for this operation. Still trying to find a shop that will undertake the endeavour here in the San Francisco bay area.

Any suggestions on where to source the gearbox? ebay has one but its from an '06 MCS with limited slip differential; I don't need the bells and whistles, a 'plain' 6 speed will do the trick.

-Indy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts