MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sounds too fast for me lol. Thanks again for all your advice. I'll probably have lots more questions once I've checked my cam/crank timing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, now P0015 has gone and P0012 has appeared! Is there any obvious reason the timing fault would jump from the exhaust cam to the inlet cam, or does this suggest that the timing in general is out?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
could the vanos sprockets failed maybe what timing chain kit was used i have seen a lot of cheap vanos sprockets play up some dont even work out the box,, pull rocker cover off see if can rotate the cam shafts with crankshaft locked seen a few vanos that dont spring back to the stop as such, with autocom cdp plus you can read the vanos position actual and prescribed can see them when rev engine more to advance and retard etc gives a good idea on how the system is behaving

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you. I'm going to order that Autocom tonight. So, are you saying that, with the crankshaft locking pin fitted, I should be able to slightly rotate the camshafts then let go and they should spring right back into position? If they don't, they're goosed. When tbe chain was replaced it was replaced with a Febi one, although the phasers were not replaced. The car's only done 72,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
i would guess the vanos sprocket would be ok then as factory ones seem to do a good 120k as norm, need the diagnostics and read them on live data just so much can effect these engines even i get a royal pain in arse one from time to time and see something i have not before from time to time, just had a citreon like that, turned out was a intermittent short circuit within the ecu and within the motronic part of it so was nearly impossible to find until ruled out everything else with a 02 sensor heater circuit short to positive code after 4 minutes one time the next time 10 minutes juts random,, was getting to that point where i nearly gave up with it,, but that is not my nature to give in to anything,, sometimes just chip away at it lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I hope it's not something as elusive as that. I'll update if/when I find the problem. Fingere crossed. Thanks again Mike.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I hope it's not something as elusive as that. I'll update if/when I find the problem. Fingere crossed. Thanks again Mike.
good luck with it i tend to use multi meter ie a good one cover resistances etc a must have tool, also good diagnostic and promise anyone the best value for money is that autocom cdp plus off ebay..put it this way it will on most stuff do more than the snap on one we have at garage ie snap on one s over £2000 plus monthly fees for updates etc, also a good value but more money around £100 is bmw mini own dealer software insta d but its a mission to learn it,,, can take hours to find what you need to do etc,, i have psa groups dealer level software for Citroen and Peugeot and i still have to think about it when using it,, where the autocom is easy after a few goes with it,, but sometimes you need a full details diagnostics, i pout some pics of live data on the psa diagnostics bmw one is sort of same complicated ,
IMG_20200323_125157.jpg
IMG_20200323_125343.jpg
IMG_20200323_130610.jpg
IMG_20200323_130652.jpg
the above was for just one controller level as such,,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I just went on to Ebay to buy Autocom Cdp and there are none!!! They were on there all week! I see you can buy them from that wish.com but I don't trust them. Is there a decent diagnostic reader that will read actual and prescribed vanos positions for under £100 and which doesn't require a degree in astrophysics to use?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
think you will struggle to find anywhere that will be open to post anything out at mo with the virus bug and china shut down also docks have been closed down all over the world to add to it,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Mike. What do you think of this?

i have one work well on bmw products that said dont tend to use it unless i get a issue that snap on or autocom wont run with,, think i have run mine once in about 2 years so rusty on how and what works on it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It doesn't look very user-friendly. I just want something that'll show me that vanos positions. The fact that that one can 'programme' things is a bit of a worry.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
It doesn't look very user-friendly. I just want something that'll show me that vanos positions. The fact that that one can 'programme' things is a bit of a worry.
the autocom will program some stuff ie injectors and bcm and keys on some stuff.. as you would also need to reset adaptations when replacing a cat or 02 sensors or even timing chain or throttle body say,, a lot of people dont realise just how complex these system are and timing they take to use the diagnostics hence why some go online to vent their anger at a £200 maybe for such work done,, takes a good hour to reset most things and program on some stuff its a couple of hours or more just because some of the software is slow and runs on windows xp or win7 only so processors are slow out of date etc.. hence why autocom works well for me ie got it on a windows 10 with 8gb ram and i5 processors so really fast no waiting for things to connect etc

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah, the Autocom sounds ideal, however they all seem to come from China and aren't giving any delivery dates due to Covid 19. I've got a Windows 10 laptop with 4GB ram so it should work ok, if I eventually get one. Very frustrating. I'd like to diagnose this vanos problem as much as possible before pulling off the valve cover. I need my car for work so time is an issue once I commit.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That looks ideal! Thank you so much. I've ordered it. Hopefully it isn't coming from China and it won't get delayed. Thanks again for taking the time to look for that.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
That looks ideal! Thank you so much. I've ordered it. Hopefully it isn't coming from China and it won't get delayed. Thanks again for taking the time to look for that.
thats ok bud not a problem, that diagnostics covers nearly all cars on road from 1998 to 2015 ish and will do most things as well work brakes and airbags and all controllers

21 - 40 of 73 Posts