Votes: 27 87.1%
  • WTF is a rubber necker :p

Votes: 3 9.7%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's bad enough getting caught in traffic jams on the motorway because of accidents, but it's far worse if these jams are solely caused by rubber neckers gawping at accidents on the opposite carriageway :mad: :mad: :mad:

It sickens me that people feel the necessity to slow down and have a good look at what's happened :mad: :mad:

<----- not mad as it only took 5hrs to Liverpool and only 2.5hrs on the way back :rolleyes:

Go on admit it do you rubber neck????
I do only becuase I've no choice as I've got to come to a literal standstill because those infront have :mad: :mad:

·
Whatev.
2,878 Posts
At an accident scene I slow down if I am passing close by. Not to rubber neck tho - I am usually still travelling fast enough to not be able to see much of anything. I slow because there are usually stunned people wandering around and emergency services trying to do their job.

If it is a distance away - for example on the other side of a split road then there is no reason to slow down.

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
i recall a really nasty crash in france that i was driving past. Due to the nature of the accident it was imposible not too look at it, slow traffic thru a temporary contraflow. But theres really no excuse for looking when youre driving on the otherside of the road. On the M3 and M4 everyday i see examples of this. infact its usually a woman standing by her broken down car that usually gets most rubberneckers rather than a crash :rolleyes:

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
It's bloody annoying, they should have speed cameras issuing fines to anyone doing less than 65 past the scene of an accident :mad:

What also hacks me off no end is a big slow down, grind to a halt, then 5 minutes later it all moves again and what was the problem .......... nothing it would seem, no accident, no breakdown, nothing at all :confused:

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm talking about accidents on the opposite carriageway ;)

In this country for accidents on the same carriageway there are usually warnings to redue speed and messages are put on the digital infoboards.
Not that many people take notice though :mad: :mad:

I am fully aware that these need to be paid attention too, as I remember coming back from MTM there were signs for 30mph and the motorway was clear. Half a mile down the road a car had crashed and was stranded in the fast lane :eek: :eek:

Police put these warnings and temporary speed restrictions for a reason. Let's all take caution when we see them ;)

·
Because I Am !!??
240 Posts
Martin got to agree with you on this. I drive about 30,000 miles a year on business and I would hate to think how much of my time is wasted in this way. I remember one trip a couple of months ago, Southport to Milton Keynes 2.5 hrs, not bad considering it was in the morning and rush hour. Milton Keynes to Southport 5.5 hrs !! Left mid afternoon and sat in three tailbacks for a total of 3 hours all caused by people 'rubber necking' accidents on the opposite carriage way !!
If it's not rubber neckers its middle lane hoggers !!! Don't get me started on them !!!

Gordo

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
The rozzers should stand at the scene of the accident with a video camera and video all the idiots slowing down. When I sit as a passenger in the car it's interesting to watch these wide mouth morons slow down and stare for ages. :mad:

·
fully ISO 3103 Compliant
300 Posts
I have always thought that you mount a roll of rubber curtiain on the side of a lorry, and then pull it around a acident so no one can see in. If that happened you won't get rubber neckers and the little bumps that happen around the queues that form.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
It's the "reality tv" effect kicking in with most people :rolleyes: They want to see a bit of Real Life Action, no matter how morbid or at who's expense.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Rubber Nickers

Ive been wearing them for years....upps sorry wrong thread ...cough cough :D

I think we are all a little guilty of it sometimes, however dont have much of a choice when the people in the car in front have virtually stopped and are pointing at somebody sprawlled out in the road, ill glance across like any human but my main priority is to keep up with the flow of traffic otherwise there would be an increasing risk off peeing everyone off and there being an accident on my side of the road too. To many nosey buggers about :) :(

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
People rubber neck around here...

Martin L said:
It's bad enough getting caught in traffic jams on the motorway because of accidents, but it's far worse if these jams are solely caused by rubber neckers gawping at accidents on the opposite carriageway :mad: :mad: :mad:

It sickens me that people feel the necessity to slow down and have a good look at what's happened :mad: :mad:

<----- not mad as it only took 5hrs to Liverpool and only 2.5hrs on the way back :rolleyes:

Go on admit it do you rubber neck????
I do only becuase I've no choice as I've got to come to a literal standstill because those infront have :mad: :mad:
if someones changing a flat. I can see slowing down for safety, but that's it. If you have to get your jolly's staring at others misfortune then pull over and have a looooong gape.

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Oh, rubber neckers, sorry I thought this was about wearing rubber knickers while driving, for when the excitement gets, oh just a little too much.

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
grrrrrrr can't stand it, ties up traffic around the beltway and other main arteries like crazy.

sometimes people slowing down just because a car is on the shoulder with someone waiting for assistance...

and sunshine, grrrr, put your sunglasses on people!!! :mad: :p :p

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I vote "No" but it is not because it sickens me. Actually I just don't care. It isn't my problem and I don't want to become part of the problem so I just concentrate on what I am supposed to be doing, DRIVING !!!!!

People! Concentrate on your own job and drive, if you want to know about what happened, watch the news later. If more people did that there wouldn't be such horrible traffic jams.

Just one hobbits opinion.

·
I Just Can't Get Enough
49,320 Posts
its not very often you see a lorry on its side across the carriageway tho! :p But yes rubber neckers are sooooooo annoying, just drive you morons :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts